Penguin IslandCurrently Closed
- Address: Corner Arcadia Drive and Penguin Road, Rockingham/Shoalwater Bay area, Perth, Western Australia 6169, Australia
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +61-895911333
- Ticket Price: 23 AUD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Island, Family And Kids, Picnic Spot
Located at just a 45-minute drive and then 5-minute ferry ride from Perth, Penguin Island is a popular attraction among day-trippers. The island is home to the largest population of Little Penguins in Western Australia. It is part of the Shoalwater Islands Marine Park.
This is a great place for kids and families with numerous activities and an opportunity to feed the penguins. There are ferries and cruises and glass-bottomed boats available to explore the marine life around the island. Also there are fixed penguin-feeding times. Apart from penguins, you will sport several sea gulls and terns. On a good day one can spot dolphins and sea lions when taking a cruise.
The licenced tour operator is Rockingham Wild Encounters is the only company allowed to service the Marine park and runs ferries to the island every hour apart from the cruises and glass bottom boat rides. Tickets are available on the day itself from the Rockingham Wild Encounters Gift Shop.
While there are no eateries on the island it is an ideal place for a picnic and visitors usually bring along a basket and enjoy a day on the beach or shaded picnic spots in the area. Alternatively you can also eat before boarding the ferry at the Pengo’s Cafe.
The island is closed during winter, which is nesting season and only opens to visitors from mid-September to June. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Perth Itinerary 7 Days.
- The abundance of seagulls can be overwhelming especially if they fly low.
- Extra ferries are scheduled every 20 minutes or half hour during peak season as required
- There are no eateries on the island so it is recommended to carry your own food and drinks.
- Public toilets and changing facilities are available.
- Visitors are allowed to bring swimming or snorkeling gear if they like.
- Only unlimited ferry transfers to Penguin Island – 15$ AUD.
- Penguin & Sea Lion Cruise (glass bottom boat) - $38.50.
- Tickets & Gift Shop- Open daily 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Reservations- Daily- 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
- Ferry Departures- Depart- 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm & 3:00 pm.
- Return- 10:10 am, 11:10 am, 12:10 pm, 1:10 pm, 2:10 pm, 3:10 pm & 4:00 pm.
- Penguin Island Discovery Centre- Open Daily 10:00 am to 3:30 pm.
- Penguin Feedings- 10:30 am, 12:30 pm & 2:30 pm.
- Pengos Cafe- Open Daily 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- The nearest bust stop is Penguin Road on bus route 551.
- Rockingham Train station on the Mandurah Line.
- Pengo’s Cafe
- Zocalo Mexican Restaurant
- Bodrum Bay Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Perth before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Perth and book an accommodation of your choice.
59.85% of people who visit Perth include Penguin Island in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
76.34% of people start their Penguin Island visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Penguin Island
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Penguin Island
A very small and isolated island but very beautiful. The views from this island are stunning and so is the water around it. A lovely place to swim and have a picnic.
Very bad ferry service, need to pay extra to see Penguins, they just making money nothing more. It would be better if they built a bridge so everyone can walk and enjoy the nature. Not worth it.
So beautiful, with big variety of wildlife. The penguins are super cute!
Beautifull island but small. You have too pay the ferry and for $9 more you can visit the penguin sanctuary. You can walk around in less then an hour. Bring binoculars! Prepare for a lot bird droppings!
Great experience. A lot of boardwalks are closed. This is on 29 Oct 2018. Ferry for adult is AUD 27 and kids AUD 15 plus discovery. Kinda pricey. If you like beaches, nature and penguin. This is a must, if don't like any of those, I'd suggest to skip this. We hang out 4 hours here with picnic and beach shade. Memorable for the kids. There won't be any seconds for me. Be careful of birds poo.. it's everywhere!