The king Dom Pedro II used to live in this magnificent palace. The beautiful neo-classical building was completed in 1862, and is today one of the most visited monuments in Brazil. The building shares its spotlight with the palace gardens, which are a formal arrangement with plants from 15 different regions around the world – Australian palm, French grass, Madagascar bananas, and African pandalos.
At the museum you’ll find remnants of the Brazilian monarchs, paintings, jewels, rich furniture, musical instruments, and scientific instruments and books. These are a laid out as they used to be in the Dining Room, the State Room, the Embroidery Room, and the Music Room. The library is rich too, with 250,000 documents, some of which date back to the 13th century.
Check attraction website for details of the A Sarau imperial role-playing show. It’s quite fun!
Imperial Museum Travel Tips
- Check out the coffee shop and the store.
- Sometimes, exhibitions and special events are held at the palace. Check the attraction website before your visit.
Entrance Ticket Details For Imperial Museum
- 50% off for Students, teachers and over 60 years.
- Free Wednesdays and the last Sunday of the month – for Petropolis residents.
- Sound and light show: R$20 (full), R$10 (half)
- Soiree Imperial: R$10 (full), R$5
- For extensive ticket information, visit attraction website.
Imperial Museum Hours
- Tickets sold till 30 minutes before closing time.
- Gardens: 8am-6pm (Tuesday to Sunday)
- Light shows are on Thursdays – Saturdays
How to Reach Imperial Museum
- Take a taxi
- Drive to here, and ask locals for directions.
- Ask locals for public transport info.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Petropolis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Petropolis and book an accommodation of your choice.
13.64% of people who visit Petropolis include Imperial Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
57.14% of people start their Imperial Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Imperial Museum
80% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Imperial Museum