Imperial Museum, Petropolis
About Imperial Museum, Petropolis
Imperial Museum, Petropolis - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Rua da Imperatriz, 220 - Centro, Petrópolis - RJ, 25610-320, Brazil
Ticket Price: 10 BRL
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 11:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 256 times in trip plans
Museum, Garden, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The king Dom Pedro II used to live in this magnificent palace. The beautiful neo-classical building was completed in 1862, and is today one of the most visited monuments in Brazil. The building shares its spotlight with the palace gardens, which are a formal arrangement with plants from 15 different regions around the world – Australian palm, French grass, Madagascar bananas, and African pandalos.
At the museum you’ll find remnants of the Brazilian monarchs, paintings, jewels, rich furniture, musical instruments, and scientific instruments and books. These are a laid out as they used to be in the Dining Room, the State Room, the Embroidery Room, and the Music Room. The library is rich too, with 250,000 documents, some of which date back to the 13th century.
Check attraction website for details of the A Sarau imperial role-playing show. It’s quite fun!
Imperial Museum Information
- Check out the coffee shop and the store.
- Sometimes, exhibitions and special events are held at the palace. Check the attraction website before your visit.
Imperial Museum Ticket Prices
- 50% off for Students, teachers and over 60 years.
- Free Wednesdays and the last Sunday of the month – for Petropolis residents.
- Sound and light show: R$20 (full), R$10 (half)
- Soiree Imperial: R$10 (full), R$5
- For extensive ticket information, visit attraction website.
Imperial Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- Tickets sold till 30 minutes before closing time.
- Gardens: 8am-6pm (Tuesday to Sunday)
- Light shows are on Thursdays – Saturdays
How To reach Imperial Museum by Public Transport
- Take a taxi
- Drive to here, and ask locals for directions.
- Ask locals for public transport info.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Petropolis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Petropolis and book an accommodation of your choice.
Imperial Museum, Petropolis Reviews - Write a Review
The building has a beautiful architecture and is surrounded with a nice garden. Perfect to have a walk, sit and rest. Recommended
Great place to visit. There's a coffee house where you can enjoy a good time reading, talking or just appreciating the architecture.
A piece of Brazil's history. A great place to learn about Brazil's royal history. Highly recommend if you're visiting the country for more than it's beaches and sun.
Excellent museum! The collection of artifacts from the Brazilian Empire age is vast including jewelry, paintings, furniture, and clothes from the royal family. Guided tours teach you about the historical period and personal details from the royal family that you don't learn in schools.
Very nice, historical, nice layout for tours and well staffed. Relatively small, but worth the low fee.