Musical Instrument Museum, Phoenix
About Musical Instrument Museum, Phoenix
Musical Instrument Museum, Phoenix - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: 4725 E Mayo Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85050, United States
Ticket Price: 20 USD
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 18.2K times in trip plans
Museum, Observatory, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Musical Instrument Museum is the largest museum of its kind in the whole world. The museum houses a mind blowing collection of more than 15000 musical instruments. Instruments from all possible places in the world find a place in this museum.
This Museum of Musical Instruments was founded by Robert J. Ulrich and a friend in the year 2010. Mr. Ulrich was an African art collector and a world museum enthusiast. He took inspiration from the musical museum of Belgium and decided to start this.
The most remarkable collections are-
- Indian, Russian and European instruments.
- The collection of Africa is divided into parts representing different genres of music.
The Ground Level:
- The Artist Gallery- This place is filled with photographs, video footages, concert outfits and other such objects linked to many talented and famous singers and musicians.
- The Experience Gallery- This is probably the most interesting part where visitors can get hands on experience of trying various instruments.
- The Target Gallery- This houses the permanent as well the travelling collections of instruments of the museum.
- The Conservation Lab, the Museum Cafe as well as the Museum store make the other parts of the floor.
The Upper Level:
- The Africa and Middle East Gallery- This place has a number of rare instruments from the Sub- Saharan, Middle Eastern and North African countries.
- The Asia and Oceania Gallery- This part comprises of lovely collections from East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, and Central Asia and the Caucasus.
- The European Gallery, Latin Gallery and the USA galleries are other beautiful parts in this floor.
Musical Instrument Museum Information
- There is a large theatre as well as a cafe inside the museum.
- Gift cards are available. Please contact 480-478-6000 or just visit the website.
Musical Instrument Museum Ticket Prices
- Teens (13-19) - $15.00
- Children (4-12) - $10.00
- Children (ages 3 and under) – Free
- ‘Beyond the Beat’ special exhibition: $10 or $7 when purchased with museum admission.
Musical Instrument Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- The various programs and events hours vary always. Check the official website for the current details.
- Last entry is an hour before closing hour.
How To reach Musical Instrument Museum by Public Transport
- Bus numbers 44 and 186 till Tatum Blvd and Mayo Blvd
Restaurants Near Musical Instrument Museum
- Pita Jungle
- Kona Grill
- BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Phoenix before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Phoenix and book an accommodation of your choice.
Musical Instrument Museum, Phoenix Reviews - Write a Review
If you like music, and who doesn’t, this place is a Must See! We spent five hours here and probably saw about half of it. The Experience Room is a lot of fun for all ages. Where else can you play a Theremin and an assortment of drums from around the world in the same room. Each exhibit station has a video that show many professionally-produced videos relating to that station. This greatly enhanced my understanding of each topic. Go! You’ll be glad you did!
An impeccable place! Fascinating collection of everything about music. Time flew by as we walked through the different sections, representing different continents/countries. Neatly organized. The experience hall was fun for both us and our 5-yr old. The cafe was nice too and the whole museum was very clean.
What an outstanding place! Somewhere around 10,000 instruments from all around the world can be viewed in a wide array of exhibits spread throughout the museum. I was particularly fond of the Artist exhibit, which features instruments, memorabilia, and audio clips from prominent musicians and songwriters. There's also the "Experience" exhibit, where you get to play around with actual instruments! The second floor features an extensive global exhibit, showcasing songs and instruments from all over the world. What's nice about this place is they provide a portable listening device that plays different music depending on what exhibit you're facing. The only downside here is you'll sometimes need to stand directly in front of an exhibit to hear the information. A must see!
My third time with good friend from out of town. Very well run and offers live concerts as well as yours and special exhibits. I am a musician so I really enjoy how they are adding new exhibits and have video dioramas you can watch while listening on WiFi headphones. Also a snack bar and outside patio to rest up. A lot to see so plan for 3 hours.
Spent three hours here and could have easily stayed longer in the geographic galleries. Great geography lesson as well as history of musical instruments. Audio and video were amazing. If you play an instrument or just love music, this is the museum you should not miss.
- Nearby Attractions
- The Phoenician Golf Club
- Sheraton Crescent Hotel
- Budget Rent A Car
- Hyatt Regency Phoenix
- 13th Floor Haunted House Phoenix
- Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve
- Grand Canyon University Hotel
- Phoenix Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Phoenix
- What to See in 48 Hours in Phoenix
- What to See in 72 Hours in Phoenix
- How to Spend 5 Days in Phoenix
- How to Spend 6 Days in Phoenix
- How to Spend 7 Days in Phoenix