Chukha Hydropower ProjectCurrently Open
- Address: Between Phuentsholing and Thimphu, Bhutan Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Dam
Energy is a very important aspect of development in Bhutan, with it receiving prime focus in the country’s five-year plans. Most of the hydropower plants generate power by means of run-of-the-river electricity. Constructed under the Indo-Bhutan treaty under Indian aid is the Chukha Hydropower Project or Chukha Hydel, Bhutan’s very first mega-power project. It is built in the Chimakoti village, on the banks of the perennial Wang Chhu River (even though it has been experiencing relatively dry winters lately).
Chukha Hydel’s glory days were between 2005-2006 when it contributed to over 30% of Bhutan’s total revenue and it was the kingdom’s largest source of income until the construction of the Tala Hydropower Project commissioned in 2007. Bhutan assumed full control of the plant in 1991, since its construction began in the 1970s and the project cost Nu 2.46 billion, funded by the Government of India. It is operated by Druk Green.
The reservoir located here is a great place to visit to enjoy a day in the sun with some swimming, boating and picnics.
Chukha Hydropower Project Travel Tips
- Try and go either early in the morning or in the evening.
- Carry bottled water and snacks.
- Carry a camera.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Phuentsholing before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Phuentsholing and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Chukha Hydropower Project Address: Between Phuentsholing and Thimphu, Bhutan
- Chukha Hydropower Project Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Chukha Hydropower Project(preferred time): 04:00 pm - 07:00 pm
- Time required to visit Chukha Hydropower Project: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
95% of people who visit Phuentsholing include Chukha Hydropower Project in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
32.09% of people start their Chukha Hydropower Project visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Chukha Hydropower Project
66.85% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Chukha Hydropower Project
People normally club together Thimphu Centenary Farmers Market and Tashichho Dzong while planning their visit to Chukha Hydropower Project.