Gibbon Rehabilitation ProjectCurrently Closed
- Address: 104/3 Moo 3, Paklock, Talang, Phuket 83100, Thailand
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +66-76260492
- Ticket Price: 200 THB
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Wildlife Park, Family And Kids, Nature
Gibbon Rehabilitation Project - Review
Gibbons are a species of primates whose re-habilitation has become an acute problem in Thailand. The gibbons are often taken by people from their wild habitats to use them in streetside shows. What happens is that once they reach a certain age the gibbons may become aggressive at which point the touts abandon them. This has caused the gibbon population in Phuket to reduce drastically.
The Gibbon Rehabilitation Project, located at the scenic Bang Pae Waterfall in Phuket, is a small sanctuary that rescues gibbons from the illegal pet and tourist industries and releases them back to the wild. The unique project is run by local Thai staff, volunteers and financed entirely by donations.
The poaching of gibbons is a serious threat to this species throughout Thailand, fueled largely by the tourist trade whereby the gibbons are used as photo props and entertainment in bars. GRP teaches these rescued animals normal gibbon behaviours by socializing them with other gibbons and feeding them a natural diet.
GRP is not a petting zoo and interaction with the animals will not be possible for visitors. However, visitors will be able to enjoy watching the gibbons from the viewing area, hearing them sing (especially earlier in the day) and learning more about gibbons and the work GRP does from our volunteers at the Education Centre.
The Gibbon Rehabilitation Project takes in these gibbons and tries to prepare them for their life in the wild after being domesticated for so long this is a wonderful conservation venture which is open for the viewing of tourists. If you are an animal and nature lover it is a great way spend the holiday learning more about and observing these cute little creatures. Although this is not a very popular spot it is important from the point of view of preservation and hence many tourists do make it a point to visit the place. The place itself is set amongst nature and there is a beautiful waterfall on the way there.
Gibbon Rehabilitation Project Information
- Please remember that you are not allowed to touch the gibbons. The animals are a part of a conservation project and have often encountered some trauma. Please do not expect to be able to pet the gibbons. They are an endangered species and not a source of entertainment for people.
Gibbon Rehabilitation Project Ticket Prices
- 200 Bahts is the entry fee for the national park which houses the Centre of GRP. Although the GRP itself is free you will have to pay the 200 baht per person fee to get there.
Gibbon Rehabilitation Project Opening and Closing Hours
- Education Centre is open to visitors every day of the week from 9.00am – 4.30pm (Friday to Wednesday)
- Thursdays: open from 9.00am to 3.00pm
Restaurants Near Gibbon Rehabilitation Project
- Nice setting
- Koya Halal Food
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Phuket before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Phuket and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Gibbon Rehabilitation Project
95% of people who visit Phuket include Gibbon Rehabilitation Project in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
46.59% of people start their Gibbon Rehabilitation Project visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Gibbon Rehabilitation Project
92.94% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Gibbon Rehabilitation Project
Gibbon Rehabilitation Project Map
Gibbon Rehabilitation Project Trips
1 View16 Days 15 Nights14 Day Trip to Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya from RiyadhBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya
Gibbon Rehabilitation Project, Phuket Reviews
All QuestionsGibbon rehabilitation project
- Hemman Winery
- Blackbeard's Campground
- First Missionary Baptist Church Family Life Center
- First Baptist Church Of Parkton
- Malloy Grove Free Will Baptist Church
- No Greater Love Development Center
- National Guard Armory
- He's Able Faith & Healing Ministry
- First Missionary Baptist Chr
- E T Field-Nc71
- R E Parnell Farms
- Agape Fellowship Baptist Chr
- Snow Hill & Mt Hebrew Ame Zion
- Mount Calvary Holiness Church
- Parkton Town Hall