City Wall Of Pingyao, PingyaoCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Within Pingyao County, Pingyao County 031100, China
- Timings: 08:00 am - 07:30 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 150 CNY
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Nature
About City Wall Of Pingyao, Pingyao
The City Wall of Pingyao was built in 827 B.C. to prevent the Pingyao city from any invasion. Since then, the wall has gone through repairs and renovations about 26 times and stands now in an excellent condition. The wall is 12 meters high and 3-6 meters wide on top, and runs for a total length for around 6 kilometres. Built with rammed earth inside and brick and stone outside, the wall resembles a tortoise when looked from a bird’s eye view. Traditionally, the tortoise was considered to be a symbol of longevity, so the wall was built with the hopes that it’ll keep the ancient city permanently secure. There are 6 city gates, one each on the northern and southern walls, and two each on the western and eastern walls. There are 72 watchtowers on the top of city wall and 3,000 external battlements; it is believed that they represent the 72 people of great wisdom and 3,000 disciples of Confucius. Highlights and must sees include:
- Traditional pavilion on the wall
- Old defending arms
- The Hanging bridges
City Wall Of Pingyao Information
- You can ride bikes around the walls, down the bottom and go in and out the gates.
City Wall Of Pingyao Ticket Prices
- The ticket price of CNY 150 per person covers the admission fee for other 20 small attractions inside the Ancient City.
How To reach City Wall Of Pingyao by Public Transport
- Walk or hire a taxi.
- Ask a local for the bus details.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pingyao before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pingyao and book an accommodation of your choice.