Shuanglin Temple, PingyaoCurrently Closed
- Address: Qiaotou Village, Zhongdu Country, Pingyao County 031100, China
- Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 40 CNY
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Outdoors, Family And Kids
About Shuanglin Temple, Pingyao
The Shuanglin Temple is a large Buddhist temple, located in the Qiaotou village in the Shanxi province. It is one of the most important cultural monuments of Pingyao and is reputed to be the ‘Ancient painted sculptures museum’. Built in the 6th century, the temple currently houses over 2,000 clay sculptures depicting the incredible skills of the artisans of different dynasties. Theses sculpted figures are displayed in 10 different halls and these 10 halls are arranged within 3 courtyards. The temple was earlier known as the Zhongdu temple but later got its current name from a Buddhist folk tale. In 1997, UNESCO listed the Shuanglin temple as a World Heritage Site. Highlights and must sees include:
- Hall of the Devas – Sculptures of Vajrapani and the Four Heavenly Kings on display.
- Arhat Hall – 18 sculptures with amicable facial expressions.
- Hall of a 1000 Buddhas.
- Bodhisatva Hall – The famous sculpture of 1000 handed Kwan-yin is kept here.
- Sakyamuni Hall – Sculptures depicting the tales of Sakyamuni.
Shuanglin Temple Information
- Carry a water bottle along.
How To reach Shuanglin Temple by Public Transport
- By Bus: Bus no. 108
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pingyao before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pingyao and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Shuanglin Temple
95% of people who visit Pingyao include Shuanglin Temple in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
32.09% of people start their Shuanglin Temple visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Shuanglin Temple
94.42% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shuanglin Temple