This is a luxurious residential site, built in the 18th century. It is 35 kilometres from Pingyao. What was once the residence of the Wang family in the past is now a museum of architectural art. The compound is huge. It covers an area of 150,000 square metres. It is like a complete village in itself- an old township on display to explain how the lifestyle used to be in the olden times. The place has been divided into two parts- the East courtyard and the West Courtyard. The structure of the buildings is complex. You will feel like you are walking through a labyrinth. At the same time you can observe and appreciate the intricate details in the Qing Dynasty architecture. Highlights include:
- Sculptures of Stone, Wood and Brick
- Private School Yards
- Wang Family items
- The Painting and Calligraphy Hall
- The Treasury hall
- The Red Gate Castle
Wang Family Compound Travel Tips
- Avoid visiting this place in the monsoon season.
- The walk is long and tiring. Wear suitable footwear and carry water bottles with you.
How to Reach Wang Family Compound
- Coach: Take a coach from Taiyuan. It will take you 2 hours to reach.
- Train: Take a train from Pingyao to Jiexiu or Lingshi Railway Station and then take the Jiexiu bus no.11 (fare: CNY4). Travel Time: 40mins.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pingyao before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pingyao and book an accommodation of your choice.
25.84% of people who visit Pingyao include Wang Family Compound in their plan
40% of people start their Wang Family Compound visit around 10 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Wang Family Compound
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wang Family Compound