Palazzo Blu, Pisa
About Palazzo Blu, Pisa
Palazzo Blu, Pisa - Address, Phone Number
Address: Via Pietro Toselli, 29, 56125 Pisa, Italy
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 19.9K times in trip plans
Art Museum, Museum
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Would you like to immerse yourself in beautiful art or brush your fingers against intricately detailed woodwork? Maybe learn more about Galileo and his scientific adventures? Then what you need is a visit to the Fondazione Palazzo Blu, a heady combination of all three. Frescoes, paintings and a new exhibition on scientific discoveries and errors await you at the blue steps of this beautiful palace.
The Palace was actually called Palazzo Giuli Rosselmini Gualandi after the Count who owned it but restoration work left the walls of the Palace a light blue which led to its more popular name, Palazzo Blu. Even the herringbone patterned pavement in front of the Palace has stories to tell, with some of its tiles dating back to the 12th century. Before it became a gallery, the palace was an important landmark in Pisa, and many lavish balls and political negotiations took place under its roof. It was only towards the end of the 16th century that the walls were painted blue, in honour of the great Italian masters at the court of the Russian Czar who designed and painted palaces in St. Petersburg.
The palace served as a stakeout for allied forces during the Second World War but sadly, it suffered quite a bit of damage. This led to the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa to renovate its decaying walls and turn it into the museum that stands today. The palace served as a home for the Giuli Counts up till 2001 but now houses paintings, antiquities, coins, woodcuts, etchings and lithographs inside beautiful, eighteenth century rooms, with antique furnishings. Today, the Palazzo is a great tourist attraction, attracting visitors by the hundreds.
On the top most floor is a collection of paintings and fine art which range from 14th century artwork and frescoes to modern day work by local artists. The first floor remains untouched and will give you a firsthand glimpse of how the Counts used to live! Lavishly furnished rooms decorated with antique furniture will greet you, including a sumptuous lounge and enormous dining area, all decorated with fine statues and artwork. A large library and a room full of Greek and Roman coins will give you plenty to go through. The pretty wood carvings and other woodwork will give you tingles and right down in the basement, is a temporary scientific exhibition with fascinates most visitors.
Each room comes with an information packed booklet, available in multiple languages which will give you a good idea about the history behind each delightfully decadent room. The Palazzo has numerous temporary exhibits throughout the year, like their past exhibition on Andy Warhol and their current one on scientific errors before and after Galileo. This attraction is free of cost, which makes the entire experience not only beautiful but also an unbelievable bargain!
Palazzo Blu Information
- This attraction is just along the road from Santa Maria della Spina and on the way to the Keith Haring mural so you can combine all these free attractions.
- They have also nice cafeteria in the back yard.
- There are also paid guide who could assist you in understanding the palace better.
- There are lockers to store your belongings so you can freely explore.
- Make sure you pick up a guide in English as the exhibits themselves are mostly in Italian.
How To reach Palazzo Blu by Public Transport
- A bus services the area and Pisa's central train station is just a short walk away.
Restaurants Near Palazzo Blu
- Osteriadei Cavalieri (Italian/Moderate)
- Ristorante la Bucca (Italian/Moderate)
- Pick A Flower (Italian, Seafood, European/Moderate)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pisa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pisa and book an accommodation of your choice.
Palazzo Blu, Pisa Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Museo Degli Strumenti Per Il Calcolo
- Via Santa Maria Della Spina
- Lo Schiaccianoci
- Città Del Sole Pisa
- Cinque Terre
- Filter Coffee Lab
- Corso Italia
- Biblioteca Di Giurisprudenza. Sede Di Istituzioni, Impresa E Mercato. Diritto Commerciale E Comparato Dell'università Di Pisa
- B&b Carla
- Pisa Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Pisa
- What to See in 48 Hours in Pisa
- What to See in 72 Hours in Pisa
- How to Spend 5 Days in Pisa
- How to Spend 6 Days in Pisa
- How to Spend 7 Days in Pisa