Piazza Dei Miracoli3305 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Piazza del Duomo, 56010 Pisa PI, Italy, 56126
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39050-835011
- Ticket Price: 2 EUR
- Tags: Landmark, Landmarks, Historic And Protected Sites
Tourists from all over the world flock to the ‘Square of Miracles’ for its beauty, rich history and to take pictures of themselves holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa. The Piazza is home to the world famous tower and its cathedral, a Baptistery and a cemetery, all of which you can explore. In the evenings, you can take a walk on the green grasses and admire the statues that decorate it. You can eat a delicious dinner as the Leaning Tower lights up against the night sky.
The Square came into being in 1064 and became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the 1980’s. It’s become associated with religious life, with the Baptistery symbolizes birth, the Cathedral life and the graveyard death. All the beautiful buildings in the Piazza were constructed between the 11th and 15th centuries, as a symbol of Pisa’s economic power. As you wander through the Square, the grandeur will inspire you, which is befitting as the Pisans spent an enormous amount in creating these splendid structures. The cathedral was built first and its grey marbled Romanesque figure, along with its world famous bell tower, are the heart of the square. The baptistery came about in 1152 directly in front of the church and in 1277, the graveyard.
Pisa has always been a city that attracted many visitors, thanks to its status as a Maritime Republic. The cathedral stands as testament to how far the Pisan sailors travelled, with Islamic elements integrated into its design. The Pisan sailors admired the beauty of North Africa and Middle East and in turn, sailors from as far as the Arab world were smitten by the city’s artistic architecture. There’s quite a bit of historical significance attached to the Piazza as well, such as the soil used in the cemetery was carried back from the Holy Land, where Jesus was crucified.
Visitors will be enchanted by the happy, peaceful vibe that blankets the Square. You can rent tandem bikes and cycle around the square, while people relax on the plush lawns and bask in the beauty of the buildings in front of them. Make the dizzying journey up the Leaning Tower and find yourself in the same position as German troops during the Second World War, who used the tower as a lookout. The climb is hard but the view makes it all worth it. Don’t forget to take your camera in order to document your journey to this Wonder of the World. Visit the cathedral and look at the dazzling mosaic work of Cimabue. Afterwards, you can visit the museums in the area, in order to gain a better understanding of the significance of the Square of Miracles. You can dine in any of the many restaurants in the area and as the sun sets, the Tower is lit up. Once your experience is over, you can buy a trinket as a token of remembrance from the many vendors in the area. Perfect for history buffs, art lovers and explorers, the Piazza makes for one heck of a day.
With its rich history and picturesque surrounding, not to mention the Leaning Tower of Pisa, this beautiful square of miracles is quite a charm, attracting myriads of visitors everyday. There is a certain amount of Piazza Dei Miracoli Ticket Prices for visiting the place. The Piazza Dei Miracoli Tickets are easily available on the premises and pretty reasonable too. If you don't want to stand in the long queue to Buy Tickets for Piazza Dei Miracoli, just simply Book Tickets for Piazza Dei Miracoli online. There is a combination of Piazza Dei Miracoli Ticket Cost for each attraction, hence choose yours wisely.
Piazza Dei Miracoli Travel Tips
- Take along plenty of water and a picnic basket, in order to lunch amongst the shining, white statues in the garden.
- Check out the pulpit of the cathedral, a masterpiece by Giovanni Pisano.
- Before you go up the tower you have to leave your bags in the secure bag drop office, make sure you take your camera out of your bag before you leave it!
- There’s a combination ticket for each attraction, make sure you buy it for the best deal.
- There is no fee for walking around the Piazza and Cathedral; only to enter the other buildings.
- Expect it to be extremely crowded with long queues everywhere.
- Try to go as early as possible in order to beat the afternoon crowds.
- There are many street vendors who will try to sell you their wares insistently.
Entrance Ticket Details For Piazza Dei Miracoli
- Any single sight : 5€, any two sites : 6€
- To access everything except the Leaning Tower costs 8€ between November and February and 10€ otherwise.
- Children 9 and under : free
How to Reach Piazza Dei Miracoli
- Bus numbers 21 and 4
- The train station is also nearby
- Il Toscana (Italian/ Moderate)
- Le RepubblicheMarinare (Seafood, Italian)
- Osteria Bernardo (American)
- OsteriadeiCavalieri (Italian/ Expensive)
- Ristoro Al VecchioTeatro (Italian/ Moderate)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pisa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pisa and book an accommodation of your choice.
59.88% of people who visit Pisa include Piazza Dei Miracoli in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
59.77% of people start their Piazza Dei Miracoli visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Piazza Dei Miracoli
64.75% of people prefer walking in order to reach Piazza Dei Miracoli