Phipps ConservatoryCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 1 Schenley Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, United States, 15213
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4126226914
- Fax: +1-4126227363
- Ticket Price: 15 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Botanical Garden, Observatory, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature, Social, Arts, Museums
Phipps Conservatory - Review
The Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens are a historic complex of buildings & grounds, situated in Schenley Park, Pittsburgh. The facilities house elaborate gardens within the grounds, and is very well known in the city for its splendid displays of exotic plants, including palm trees, succulents, bonsai exhibits and orchids, to name just a few. In addition to its floral exhibition, it is also famous for the sophisticated glass and metalwork of the Lord & Burnham conservatory, which offers visitors a unique window into the world of Victorian greenhouse architecture.
Founded in 1893 by steel magnate Henry Phipps, the conservatory was opened as a gift to the city of Pittsburgh. The Phipps observatory is perhaps one of the greenest facilities in the world, having achieved silver level certification from the LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design). The Tropical Forest conservatory has a different theme every two years. There are also two waterfalls, several bridges, a stream and a healer’s hut, all open to the visitor. It is also home to several stunning installations by renowned artists, who bring together the worlds of nature and art to create some spectacular pieces.
- Their mission is to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants, and to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research.
- They have some fabulous flowers shows when in season, especially during the fall, where they exhibit beautiful flowers like chrysanthemums.
- The Conservatory also plays host to themed parties, like the ‘Party in the Tropics’ in 2014. Check out the website to find out when the next one is!
The Phipps Conservatory isn’t just a brilliant place for nature and technology to come together, but it is also a place of natural wonder and beauty, which people from Pittsburgh and around the world have been visiting since 1893. It is hands down one of the most peaceful attractions in the city.
Phipps Conservatory Information
- Phipps can be very warm during the summer months and some rooms may be cool during the winter. Visitors are encouraged to dress in layers year-round and make use of the lockers.
- Most of the walkways at Phipps are concrete or stone. Some may be uneven and slippery when wet.
- Visitors to Phipps Conservatory can enjoy free Wi-Fi access in the cafe.
- Photography and videography for personal use is allowed. However, one cannot bring a tripod without prior notice to the premises.
Phipps Conservatory Ticket Prices
- Senior Citizens & Students with a valid ID: $14
- Children aged 2 to 18: $11
- Parking is free to Phipps guests in numbered spaces in the centre island on Schenley Drive.
How To reach Phipps Conservatory by Public Transport
- Bus Nos. 61A, 61B, 61C, 61D, 48, 51 & 65 all take you to Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens.
Restaurants Near Phipps Conservatory
- Sphinx Cafe
- Mad Mex
- N I Ranchito
- Saigon Tokyo
- Salem’s Grill
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pittsburgh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pittsburgh and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Phipps Conservatory
85.66% of people who visit Pittsburgh include Phipps Conservatory in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
83.83% of people start their Phipps Conservatory visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Phipps Conservatory
94.06% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Phipps Conservatory
Phipps Conservatory Trips
Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh Reviews
This conservatory is beautiful, detailed and very family friendly. I went with three toddlers and two babies (11 and 18 months) and everyone had something that interested them. The outdoor play area was a huge hit because we went on a terribly hot day and the kids - and adults - enjoyed the misting archway, as well as the bubbling sprinkler and other fun water features. The Cuban exhibit was fun, also, with different levels and a long ramp winding through the different areas.
Beautiful place to visit. Many different sections lead to diverse experiences. For some sections, like butterfly garden, pathway might be a bit narrow or tight. But in general most areas are airy and spacious. You may argue it is less 'natural' and more like a well maintained garden, but still a romantic and playful place. No covered parking area... only street parking in the nearby hilly roads. (better drop off kids/elders at the entrance first then find an available spot)
Spectacular place. Would love to visit it again and again. Good for the romantic dates or just to visit with kids or family. It was fun to discover the beauty of this place. Also I was impressed by the room with butterflies and the one where you can feel yourself as you are in tropical garden - there you can find real mangoes, mandarins, grapefruits, avocados etc. I recommend! Visit is about $20 for adult.
Really beautiful botanical garden. It is big and there is a lot to do. In the summer you can come for the butterfly show and enjoy the beautiful exotic plants while walking around flying butterflies! It was definitely the highlight of this trip for me. You can easily spend here entire day. Most of the gardens are located inside, but you can also find few themed gardens located outside, as well as a roof top garden. I had a lot of fun while I was there and I highly recommend this place if you are in Pittsburgh.
I LOVE Phipps Conservatory. I have came here for years with friends and family. It’s a great place for anyone. The gardens are beyond beautiful and it is such a cool experience. I always love that they change every season and Christmas time is the best!! The cafe/eatery is very delicious and priced very well. I love this place and will continue to hold a yearly membership and come here.