Phipps Conservatory1303 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1 Schenley Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, United States, 15213
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4126226914
- Fax: +1-4126227363
- Ticket Price: 15 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Botanical Garden, Observatory, Family And Kids, Nature, Social, Arts, Museums
The Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens are a historic complex of buildings & grounds, situated in Schenley Park, Pittsburgh. The facilities house elaborate gardens within the grounds, and is very well known in the city for its splendid displays of exotic plants, including palm trees, succulents, bonsai exhibits and orchids, to name just a few. In addition to its floral exhibition, it is also famous for the sophisticated glass and metalwork of the Lord & Burnham conservatory, which offers visitors a unique window into the world of Victorian greenhouse architecture.
Founded in 1893 by steel magnate Henry Phipps, the conservatory was opened as a gift to the city of Pittsburgh. The Phipps observatory is perhaps one of the greenest facilities in the world, having achieved silver level certification from the LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design). The Tropical Forest conservatory has a different theme every two years. There are also two waterfalls, several bridges, a stream and a healer’s hut, all open to the visitor. It is also home to several stunning installations by renowned artists, who bring together the worlds of nature and art to create some spectacular pieces.
- Their mission is to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants, and to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research.
- They have some fabulous flowers shows when in season, especially during the fall, where they exhibit beautiful flowers like chrysanthemums.
- The Conservatory also plays host to themed parties, like the ‘Party in the Tropics’ in 2014. Check out the website to find out when the next one is!
The Phipps Conservatory isn’t just a brilliant place for nature and technology to come together, but it is also a place of natural wonder and beauty, which people from Pittsburgh and around the world have been visiting since 1893. It is hands down one of the most peaceful attractions in the city.
Phipps Conservatory Travel Tips
- Phipps can be very warm during the summer months and some rooms may be cool during the winter. Visitors are encouraged to dress in layers year-round and make use of the lockers.
- Most of the walkways at Phipps are concrete or stone. Some may be uneven and slippery when wet.
- Visitors to Phipps Conservatory can enjoy free Wi-Fi access in the cafe.
- Photography and videography for personal use is allowed. However, one cannot bring a tripod without prior notice to the premises.
Entrance Ticket Details For Phipps Conservatory
- Senior Citizens & Students with a valid ID: $14
- Children aged 2 to 18: $11
- Parking is free to Phipps guests in numbered spaces in the centre island on Schenley Drive.
How to Reach Phipps Conservatory
- Bus Nos. 61A, 61B, 61C, 61D, 48, 51 & 65 all take you to Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens.
- Sphinx Cafe
- Mad Mex
- N I Ranchito
- Saigon Tokyo
- Salem’s Grill
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pittsburgh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pittsburgh and book an accommodation of your choice.
66.38% of people who visit Pittsburgh include Phipps Conservatory in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
83.83% of people start their Phipps Conservatory visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Phipps Conservatory
94.06% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Phipps Conservatory
Phipps Conservatory Reviews & Ratings
do you have a group rateAnswer Report Abuse
i just ordered tickets for phipps for dec.30 and haven'y showed up yet on my email address?Answer Report Abuse
If you still haven't gotten your tickets, I would suggest contacting Phipps Conservatory on 412-622-6914 for updates.
When is/was the Spring Flower Show?Answer Report Abuse
The Spring Flower Show was organized between March 23 and April 21.Report Abuse
do you have wheelchairs available to rent?Answer Report Abuse
Accessible parking is available near the Conservatory's front entrance. If you want to know if they rent wheelchairs, you can call them on 412/622-6914Report Abuse
Do you have evening hours and at what age do you consider Senior Citizen and how long does the Christmas Display last?Answer Report Abuse
Currently, the Phipps Conservatory has it's Winter Light Garden going on. It goes on through Christmas from 5 PM to 11 PM. Those who are 62 years of age are considered senior citizens. Not too sure for long does the Christmas Display last, you may call and check on Phipps Conservatory Contact Number 1-4126226914. Hope this helps.Report Abuse