Phipps ConservatoryCurrently Closed
- Address: 1 Schenley Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, United States, 15213
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4126226914
- Fax: +1-4126227363
- Ticket Price: 15 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Botanical Garden, Observatory, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature, Social, Arts, Museums
The Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens are a historic complex of buildings & grounds, situated in Schenley Park, Pittsburgh. The facilities house elaborate gardens within the grounds, and is very well known in the city for its splendid displays of exotic plants, including palm trees, succulents, bonsai exhibits and orchids, to name just a few. In addition to its floral exhibition, it is also famous for the sophisticated glass and metalwork of the Lord & Burnham conservatory, which offers visitors a unique window into the world of Victorian greenhouse architecture.
Founded in 1893 by steel magnate Henry Phipps, the conservatory was opened as a gift to the city of Pittsburgh. The Phipps observatory is perhaps one of the greenest facilities in the world, having achieved silver level certification from the LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design). The Tropical Forest conservatory has a different theme every two years. There are also two waterfalls, several bridges, a stream and a healer’s hut, all open to the visitor. It is also home to several stunning installations by renowned artists, who bring together the worlds of nature and art to create some spectacular pieces.
- Their mission is to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants, and to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research.
- They have some fabulous flowers shows when in season, especially during the fall, where they exhibit beautiful flowers like chrysanthemums.
- The Conservatory also plays host to themed parties, like the ‘Party in the Tropics’ in 2014. Check out the website to find out when the next one is!
The Phipps Conservatory isn’t just a brilliant place for nature and technology to come together, but it is also a place of natural wonder and beauty, which people from Pittsburgh and around the world have been visiting since 1893. It is hands down one of the most peaceful attractions in the city.
- Phipps can be very warm during the summer months and some rooms may be cool during the winter. Visitors are encouraged to dress in layers year-round and make use of the lockers.
- Most of the walkways at Phipps are concrete or stone. Some may be uneven and slippery when wet.
- Visitors to Phipps Conservatory can enjoy free Wi-Fi access in the cafe.
- Photography and videography for personal use is allowed. However, one cannot bring a tripod without prior notice to the premises.
- Senior Citizens & Students with a valid ID: $14
- Children aged 2 to 18: $11
- Parking is free to Phipps guests in numbered spaces in the centre island on Schenley Drive.
- Bus Nos. 61A, 61B, 61C, 61D, 48, 51 & 65 all take you to Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens.
- Sphinx Cafe
- Mad Mex
- N I Ranchito
- Saigon Tokyo
- Salem’s Grill
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pittsburgh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pittsburgh and book an accommodation of your choice.
85.5% of people who visit Pittsburgh include Phipps Conservatory in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
83.83% of people start their Phipps Conservatory visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Phipps Conservatory
94.06% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Phipps Conservatory
A real treasure for Pittsburgh. This is worth an entire day!! The Phipps is a grand and beautiful example of Pittsburgh's finest. Easy to stroll and enjoy both interior and exterior gardens and displays. Be sure to check out their special events and holiday exhibits. Truly worth a membership if you are a Pittsburgh resident or regular!!!
Had very nice fall and Halloween exhibits with diverse rooms and plant types from rain forests, deserts, oriental gardens all easy to navigate with wheelchairs or walkers. Lots of areas with benches to rest or sit and admire awhile. Will definitely go back again!
This is such a nice conservatory. It's well maintained and so peaceful! The staff is very helpful. Parking is a little tricky but it's not terrible!!! The Orchid Show is a must see. The other Holiday shows are amazing. The Cactus Room is my personal favorite. The art scattered through out is beautiful.
We have been members at Phipps for a number of years, and always enjoy our visits. However, this last time we saw how accommodating of the public they are. We had a question about a plant, and stopped a passing Phipps staff member to ask about it. She was not a horticulturalist, but sent back someone who was, to explain to us about the plant and give us its name. Everyone is so friendly and helpful!
Phipps is always delightful. Good for all ages. Stroller and wheelchair friendly. Nice cafe. Parking can be a challenge. You may have to park quite far away if you come at a popular time. If the weather is bad or you have toddlers, elderly or disabled members of your party, the driver may want to drop them off at the front entrance before finding a parking spot. Check their website before you go. Some shows require timed tickets purchased in advance.