Phipps ConservatoryCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 1 Schenley Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, United States, 15213
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4126226914
- Fax: +1-4126227363
- Ticket Price: 15 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Botanical Garden, Observatory, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature, Social, Arts, Museums
The Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens are a historic complex of buildings & grounds, situated in Schenley Park, Pittsburgh. The facilities house elaborate gardens within the grounds, and is very well known in the city for its splendid displays of exotic plants, including palm trees, succulents, bonsai exhibits and orchids, to name just a few. In addition to its floral exhibition, it is also famous for the sophisticated glass and metalwork of the Lord & Burnham conservatory, which offers visitors a unique window into the world of Victorian greenhouse architecture.
Founded in 1893 by steel magnate Henry Phipps, the conservatory was opened as a gift to the city of Pittsburgh. The Phipps observatory is perhaps one of the greenest facilities in the world, having achieved silver level certification from the LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design). The Tropical Forest conservatory has a different theme every two years. There are also two waterfalls, several bridges, a stream and a healer’s hut, all open to the visitor. It is also home to several stunning installations by renowned artists, who bring together the worlds of nature and art to create some spectacular pieces.
- Their mission is to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants, and to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research.
- They have some fabulous flowers shows when in season, especially during the fall, where they exhibit beautiful flowers like chrysanthemums.
- The Conservatory also plays host to themed parties, like the ‘Party in the Tropics’ in 2014. Check out the website to find out when the next one is!
The Phipps Conservatory isn’t just a brilliant place for nature and technology to come together, but it is also a place of natural wonder and beauty, which people from Pittsburgh and around the world have been visiting since 1893. It is hands down one of the most peaceful attractions in the city.
- Phipps can be very warm during the summer months and some rooms may be cool during the winter. Visitors are encouraged to dress in layers year-round and make use of the lockers.
- Most of the walkways at Phipps are concrete or stone. Some may be uneven and slippery when wet.
- Visitors to Phipps Conservatory can enjoy free Wi-Fi access in the cafe.
- Photography and videography for personal use is allowed. However, one cannot bring a tripod without prior notice to the premises.
- Senior Citizens & Students with a valid ID: $14
- Children aged 2 to 18: $11
- Parking is free to Phipps guests in numbered spaces in the centre island on Schenley Drive.
- Bus Nos. 61A, 61B, 61C, 61D, 48, 51 & 65 all take you to Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens.
- Sphinx Cafe
- Mad Mex
- N I Ranchito
- Saigon Tokyo
- Salem’s Grill
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pittsburgh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pittsburgh and book an accommodation of your choice.
85.16% of people who visit Pittsburgh include Phipps Conservatory in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
83.83% of people start their Phipps Conservatory visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Phipps Conservatory
94.06% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Phipps Conservatory
The amount of planning and effort needed to put together the displays each holiday season must be Herculean. In each wing of the conservatory the visitors will find beautiful combinations of flowering plants, succulents, tropical forests coordinated in many settings with displays of holiday trees, wreaths and lighting displays. There is a new Cuban tropical rain forest wing and an outdoor lighting display. Model trains fill a central area to the delight of young and old alike. From outside, the glass superstructure is illuminated in glowing colors. A feast for all the senses as holiday music plays in the background. Stunning!
Phipps is such a magical place! My husband and I used to be members, and we were so excited to visit when we were back in town. I absolutely adore the orchid room, but the Victorian room is so stunning during the holidays season. We brought our kiddo this year, and he had a great time looking at all the Christmas lights inside and outside! We had a wonderful day, thanks to Phipps.
Beautiful place. Great place to bring kids. Ticket price is expensive, better deal to buy a year membership. Most of the things in the gift shop can be made it home, but a lot of great ideas. Bring a picnic, or eat when you leave, Cafe a little pricey. Everyone is very courteous and kind. Worth every moment. Great place to exercise, keep that New year's resolution!
Very beautiful they change a few exhibits several times a year. The light show in winter is spectacular, but is very busy so I recommend getting a ticket early during those times. And in spring to fall they have a butterfly room. Very educational especially for young ones and those looking to live more in harmony with the earth.
Phipps is the best botanical garden ever! The way the greenhouse exhibits are laid out is very interesting and the variety is extensive. Great place to relax or to relax and walk. From my memory of past years, outdoor gardens were spectacular in spring and summer. This year I went late in September so they weren't in full bloom. Still impressive.
do you have wheelchairs available to rent?Answer Report Abuse
Accessible parking is available near the Conservatory's front entrance. If you want to know if they rent wheelchairs, you can call them on 412/622-6914Report Abuse
Do you have evening hours and at what age do you consider Senior Citizen and how long does the Christmas Display last?Answer Report Abuse
Currently, the Phipps Conservatory has it's Winter Light Garden going on. It goes on through Christmas from 5 PM to 11 PM. Those who are 62 years of age are considered senior citizens. Not too sure for long does the Christmas Display last, you may call and check on Phipps Conservatory Contact Number 1-4126226914. Hope this helps.Report Abuse