Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh
About Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh
Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh - Address, Ticket Price
Address: 1 Schenley Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, United States
Ticket Price: 15 USD
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 9.7K times in trip plans
Botanical Garden, Observatory, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens are a historic complex of buildings & grounds, situated in Schenley Park, Pittsburgh. The facilities house elaborate gardens within the grounds, and is very well known in the city for its splendid displays of exotic plants, including palm trees, succulents, bonsai exhibits and orchids, to name just a few. In addition to its floral exhibition, it is also famous for the sophisticated glass and metalwork of the Lord & Burnham conservatory, which offers visitors a unique window into the world of Victorian greenhouse architecture.
Founded in 1893 by steel magnate Henry Phipps, the conservatory was opened as a gift to the city of Pittsburgh. The Phipps observatory is perhaps one of the greenest facilities in the world, having achieved silver level certification from the LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design). The Tropical Forest conservatory has a different theme every two years. There are also two waterfalls, several bridges, a stream and a healer’s hut, all open to the visitor. It is also home to several stunning installations by renowned artists, who bring together the worlds of nature and art to create some spectacular pieces.
- Their mission is to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants, and to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research.
- They have some fabulous flowers shows when in season, especially during the fall, where they exhibit beautiful flowers like chrysanthemums.
- The Conservatory also plays host to themed parties, like the ‘Party in the Tropics’ in 2014. Check out the website to find out when the next one is!
The Phipps Conservatory isn’t just a brilliant place for nature and technology to come together, but it is also a place of natural wonder and beauty, which people from Pittsburgh and around the world have been visiting since 1893. It is hands down one of the most peaceful attractions in the city.
Phipps Conservatory Information
- Phipps can be very warm during the summer months and some rooms may be cool during the winter. Visitors are encouraged to dress in layers year-round and make use of the lockers.
- Most of the walkways at Phipps are concrete or stone. Some may be uneven and slippery when wet.
- Visitors to Phipps Conservatory can enjoy free Wi-Fi access in the cafe.
- Photography and videography for personal use is allowed. However, one cannot bring a tripod without prior notice to the premises.
Phipps Conservatory Ticket Prices
- Senior Citizens & Students with a valid ID: $14
- Children aged 2 to 18: $11
- Parking is free to Phipps guests in numbered spaces in the centre island on Schenley Drive.
How To reach Phipps Conservatory by Public Transport
- Bus Nos. 61A, 61B, 61C, 61D, 48, 51 & 65 all take you to Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens.
Restaurants Near Phipps Conservatory
- Sphinx Cafe
- Mad Mex
- N I Ranchito
- Saigon Tokyo
- Salem’s Grill
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pittsburgh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pittsburgh and book an accommodation of your choice.
Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh Reviews - Write a Review
I love Phipps! This place is amazing and wonderful. I have a yearly membership, and it's very reasonably priced. This place is perfect if you suffer from seasonal issues. They have amazing creative displays that change seasonally, so it's different throughout the year. I love to come here to relax and it helps me feel more peaceful. I wish I lived closer! Can't say enough good things.
I have been there very often and was interested in their membership. I spent a huge fortune buying tickets for my whole family. They said that it can be applied to my membership within 7 days and quoted me a family membership instead of giving me choices of individual. I called them up within 7 days and no one picked up. Then the weekend followed and I called them up again and no one answered. Left voice message twice and now the idiot front desk girl tells me that it is past 7 days. Enjoy the bloody luxury botanical garden for elite class. I am quitting them! NO THANK YOU! Your truly upset customer!
Well worth the money to buy a membership, changes shows 5 times a year and each one is absolutely gorgeous. Gift shop is well stocked with many things you won't find anywhere else. The cafe serves food that is delicious while promoting healthy eating as well as sustainability. If you're visiting from out of town, I would suggest you visit Phipps as one of your stops.
An amazing, immersive experience. The diversity of plants from all around the world were great. It's crazy to think of the amount of work that must go into the Conservatory, so my only criticism about the cost of admission is rendered null. I will certainly return again one day, and I would be proud if I was a worker there.
If I lived here I'd have to have a membership. This place is amazing! It is well worth the cost. I can't believe it's open so late. Total win for a beautiful walk through so many different kinds of landscapes.
- Nearby Attractions
- Mt. Lebanon - Recreation Department
- Highland Park
- North Shore Riverfront Park
- Emerald View Park
- Hartwood Acres
- Allegheny Riverfront
- Rodef Shalom Biblical Botanical Garden
- Grandview Park
- Swisshelm Playground
- William D. Boyce Park
- Pittsburgh Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Pittsburgh
- What to See in 48 Hours in Pittsburgh
- What to See in 72 Hours in Pittsburgh
- How to Spend 5 Days in Pittsburgh
- How to Spend 6 Days in Pittsburgh
- How to Spend 7 Days in Pittsburgh