Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium218 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 7340 Butler St, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, United States
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4126653640
- Ticket Price: 13 USD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Zoo, Aquarium, Family And Kids, Exhibition
The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is located in Highland Park. It is one of only six major zoo and aquarium combinations in all of the United States. Spanning over a massive 77 acres of land, The Pittsburgh Zoo is one of the most famous of its kind in the country, exhibiting more than 4,000 animals over 475 species. These include 20 threatened or endangered animals as well, which makes the Pittsburgh Zoo a very important place.
The Pittsburgh Zoo is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It was opened way back in 1898, when it was known as the Highland Park Zoo. Today, the zoo is divided into seven sections, each of which focuses on a particular aspect. These sections include Kid’s Kingdom, which contains many interactive exhibits and petting areas for the children. The PPG Aquarium is a gigantic two story building that houses several habitats, including a magical tropical rainforest inhabited by tamarins and piranhas. The Asian Forest, Tropical Forest & African Savanna sections strive to recreate the natural living environments as much as possible, and include many rare creatures, from Amur Tigers & Snow Leopards to Komodo Dragons and poison dart frogs.
- The Bear exhibit has been around since 1937, and is standing strong even today. It houses American Black Bears, Spectacles Bears and a Kodiak Bear.
- There is a section known as the African Ravine, where viewers can observe cheetahs from several angles with the help of protective glass.
- Water’s Edge is the newest section. Completed in 2006, it resembles a coastal fishing village.
The Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium is among the best of its kind in the entire country, and one simply cannot get bored. Once you think you’ve seen it all, you will realize that the Pittsburgh Zoo is a world of its own.
Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium Travel Tips
- Be careful to follow instructions about protection very closely as some of the wild animals can be highly dangerous.
- In the event of severe weather, visitors may be refused entry into the park, or if already in the park, visitors may be asked to relocate to indoor facilities.
- Balloons and straws are very dangerous to animals and are not permitted inside the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium for any reason.
- Pets are not permitted on Zoo grounds, in the parking lot, or in cars.
- Visitors cannot bring glass containers, anything that needs to be cooked, grills of any kind, or any alcohol into the park during normal business hours.
Entrance Ticket Details For Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium
- Adults : $13
- Seniors (60+) : $12
- Children (2-13) : $12
- Children (<2Years) : Free
- Parking : Free
- Adults : $16
- Seniors (60+) : $15
- Children (2-13) : $14
- Children (<24 months) : Free
- Parking : Free
Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium Timings
- Timings of the zoo may vary with the seasons. Be sure to stay updated on the website.
- Park gate is close on 3:00pm.(Changed season wise)
- Spring April 1 - Friday, Memorial Day Weekend 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Summer Saturday, Memorial Day Weekend - Labor Day : 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Fall Tuesday after Labor Day - December 31 : 9 a.m. 4 p.m. 5 p.m.
- Winter January 2 - March 31 : 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
How to Reach Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium
- Bus No. 87 travels every 40 minutes, and Bus No. 75 travels every 30 minutes to Baker St at Butler Street. You can also take Bus No. 1, 88 and 71B.
- Eddie’s Pizza House
- Bulldog Pub
- Joseph’s Tambellini
- Smiling banana Leaf
- Park Bruges
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pittsburgh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pittsburgh and book an accommodation of your choice.
11.56% of people who visit Pittsburgh include Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
84% of people start their Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Pittsburgh Zoo And Ppg Aquarium