South SideCurrently Open
- Address: Pittsburgh, PA 15203 (Southside Flats), United States
- Timings: 12:00 am - 01:30 am Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: River, Walking Area, Restaurant, Market, Street Market, Shopping Center, Family And Kids, Architecture , Street Food, Neighborhoods
South Side is a famous neighbourhood in Pittsburgh, located along the magnificent Monongahela River. It is officially divided into two smaller neighbourhoods- South Side Flats and South Side Slopes. Both these neighbourhoods have been popular attractions in Pittsburgh for a long time, as it is filled with shops selling everything from jewellery and clothing to books and antiques. South Side is also filled with many acclaimed restaurants, which makes it a great place for a day out.
South Side was once dominated by heavy industry businesses, which has contributed to its iconic architecture. In more recent years, it has opened its arms to a larger student population, which has transformed it from a historic neighbourhood to a cultural hub for locals and tourists alive. South Side is almost always abuzz with excitement, as there are a number of open markets which attracts tourists in the throngs. The student population has also contributed to making it a lively area with a thriving bar scene, which has made it a preferred nightlife destination as well.
- The Flats has one of the largest Victorian main streets in the United States. The entire length of East Carson Street is designated as a historic district
- The trek up the steps in the South Side Slopes is often well worth the effort, as hikers are rewarded with yet another of Pittsburgh's stunning hillside views.
South Side is one of Pittsburgh’s most popular neighbourhoods, and it isn’t difficult to see why. It strikes a perfect balance between history and youth, and has turned into an iconic neighbourhood that represents the true essence of Pittsburgh.
South Side Travel Tips
- Parking in the South Side is among the tightest in the city, as narrow streets and high density of buildings leave little empty street space.
- South Side has had a dubious history of violence after dark, particularly due to unrest between the younger and older generations. Try not staying too late in the area.
Entrance Ticket Details For South Side
- Entry is free.
How to Reach South Side
- Bus Nos: 75,13,15,16,17,48,81,83,52,61A, 61B, 67,69 all go to South Side
- Cafe Du Jour
- Piper’s Pub
- Dish Osteria Bar
- Mallorca Restaurant
- The Cheesecake Factory
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pittsburgh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pittsburgh and book an accommodation of your choice.
7.66% of people who visit Pittsburgh include South Side in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
70.97% of people start their South Side visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see South Side
91.77% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting South Side
People normally also visit University Of Pittsburgh while planning their trip to South Side.