Uss Requin70 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 3 Rivers Heritage Trail System, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, United States Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4122371637
- Ticket Price: 19 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, Educational Site, Memorial, Family And Kids, Exhibition
The USS Requin is a former US Navy submarine, which is now located at the Carnegie Science Centre, Pittsburgh. A Tench-Class submarine, it was the only ship of the Navy to be named after the requin, a sand shark. The Requin used to carry amongst the heaviest armament for a submarine, and it was one of the most decorated vessels of its fleet. After its retirement, it was restored and transferred to the Carnegie Science Centre, where it stands today as a famous museum exhibit.
Today, the USS Requin has quite a different purpose from what it was originally intended, as it helps to educate thousands of visitors about life inside a submarine. It is also one of the last remaining relics of the technology that went into submarine engineering in the forties and fifties, and is a fascinating experience for any tech geeks. The 312 foot hull is a reminder of the USS Requin’s dominance in the great waters, and one can instantly tell that this majestic machine was once an imposing behemoth that patrolled the vast oceans.
- The USS Requin was a part of the US Navy as early as 1945, and it even took part in the Second World War
- It was helmed originally by Commander Slade D. Cutter, who was one of the most prolific submarine skippers in the US Navy.
The USS Requin is a wonderful little piece of history, and it provides us with a valuable insight into the lives and hardships of those in the navy. It is a great tribute to the patriots of the nation.
Uss Requin Travel Tips
- The interiors of the ship are quite cramped in parts, and are not recommended for visitors with claustrophobia.
- The staff are very helpful and informative, and you can get a lot of facts from them you wouldn’t usually find in the history books.
Entrance Ticket Details For Uss Requin
- $18.95 (for admission into the Carnegie Science Centre).
- You can view every other exhibit at the Carnegie Science Centre by purchasing the pass of $18.95.
How to Reach Uss Requin
- Buses BLLB, BLSV, 14, 18, 29, 27, 31 all go to the Carnegie Science Centre, where the USS Requin is situated.
- Andrew’s Steak & Seafood
- Wheelhouse Cafe
- Primanti Bros
- Taco Bell
- Pittsburgh Grill & Sports Bar
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pittsburgh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pittsburgh and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Uss Requin Address: 3 Rivers Heritage Trail System, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, United States
- Uss Requin Contact Number: +1-4122371637
- Uss Requin Timing: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Uss Requin Price: 19 USD
- Best time to visit Uss Requin(preferred time): 12:00 pm - 04:00 pm
- Time required to visit Uss Requin: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
3.57% of people who visit Pittsburgh include Uss Requin in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
66.67% of people start their Uss Requin visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Uss Requin
77.78% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Uss Requin
People normally club together The Nationality Rooms and Monongahela Incline while planning their visit to Uss Requin.