Playa Del Carmen Tourism
Playa del Carmen, or simply Playa is a lovely vibrant city located along the Caribbean Sea in the state of Quintana Roo of Mexico. A popular tourist spot, this town is located south of Cancun and is a location for PGA Tour golf tournaments and has featured in many shows and movies.
When here, Quinta Avenida or the 5th Avenue is the place to be. Filled with many interesting touristy spots like clubs, souvenir shops, and cute little cafes, this pedestrian-only, tourist thoroughfare is always bustling. Lined with palm trees on its beaches, take a walk along this street that runs parallel to the beach.
And the beaches? well everyone comes to Playa for its beaches. There are so many beaches to choose from. There is the iconic Parque Fundadores, the hip Calle 10 Beach, the controversial Mamitas Beach, the brilliant Mamitas Beach, and the beautiful Coco Reef beach.
Essential travel information and Playa Del Carmen tips for your visit
- Time zone: Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5)
- Currency: Mexican Peso (MXN)
- Electricity: The standard voltage is 120 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz. In Playa Del Carmen, the power plugs and sockets are of type A and B.
- Languages: Spanish, English, Mayan (rarely)
- Internet: While almost all hotels have Wi-Fi, 3G and 4G connectivity in Playa Del Carmen is pretty good.
- Security: Police - 999; Ambulance - 997; Fire - 998; Traffic police - 993
- Tipping: Tipping in Playa Del Carmen is very similar to tipping in the United States. You can tip in US Dollars as well as in Peso. The typical tip for food service is 10% to 20%, $1 per person per room for each housekeeping visit, and cab driver depending on the extra duty they do.
- What to wear: Light clothes, sunscreen, a hat, sandals
- Be ready to walk more. The easiest way to get around town is on foot
- Do not accept drinks from strangers. And make sure you are in groups when venturing out late at night.
Playa Del Carmen Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Playa Del Carmen. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Playa Del Carmen trip planner.