Bachkovo Monastery, Plovdiv
About Bachkovo Monastery, Plovdiv
Bachkovo Monastery, Plovdiv - Address, Phone Number
Address: 86, 4251 Plovdiv and the Valley of the Kings, Bulgaria.
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 07:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
Added 2.1K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Church, Museum, Monument
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The Bachkovo Monastery, also known as the Petritsoni Monastery or Monastery of the Mother of God Petritzonitissa in Bulgaria, is one of the oldest and largest Eastern Orthodox monasteries in Europe. It is considered to be an important monument of Christian architecture, which is offers a unique combination of Byzantine, Georgian and Bulgarian culture. This site has undergone several restorations and reconstructions over the period of time. It is the final resting place of both Patriarch Euthymius (1330-1404) and Patriarch Cyril (1953-71). The monastery is also a National monument of culture, art and traditions. It is possible for you to stay at the monastery, to be a part of an Orthodox mass held here. Highlights and must sees include:
- The Ossuary – Only surviving part of the original structure.
- The Cathedral Church of the Virgin Mary – built in the place of the monastery’s oldest church destroyed by the Turks.
- The Church of the Archangels.
- Diospyros Tree – brought from Georgia more than 2 centuries ago.
- The Museum of the Monastery and the works of art.
- The ‘’Panorama” mural.
- The 14th century Virgin Mary icon.
Bachkovo Monastery Information
- The walkaway to the monastery gates has dozens of small stalls selling tourist knickknacks. You can try Rhodopean specialties and fast foods here.
Bachkovo Monastery Ticket Prices
- Free: Admission to the monastery grounds.
- LEV 4: Admission to the refectory.
- LEV 5: Guided tour of the refectory.
How To reach Bachkovo Monastery by Public Transport
- Walk or hire a taxi.
- Ask a local for bus details.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Plovdiv before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Plovdiv and book an accommodation of your choice.
Bachkovo Monastery, Plovdiv Reviews - Write a Review
Worth visiting when you're passing by. There's 2 leva parking fee. What I was really happy with is that there are a lot of food stalls on the way to the monastery. You can buy a lot of cheap, but great quality home-made products :).
An amazing place with unique monastery and atmosphere, nature is beautiful and colourful, would definitely recommend
Great place, surrounded by Rodopi mountains. Bu sure to allow time to stop by many of the restaurants to eat their famous burgers (yes, Rodopi and Plovdiv burgers are famous in Turkey). Hiking in the monastery reserve is also a good idea.
Seemingly off of the mainstream tourist route, there seemed to be only Bulgarians at the Monastery when we visited. One of the most beautiful and ancient Orthodox churches you're likely to see. Well worth a visit.
We arrived late and were welcomed very friendly by the Monks. The room we got is like a 3 star hotel, with wonderful view at the church and the Rodopi mountain. There are covers to borrow for the women who are dressed unproperly, so you could spontaneously visit even if you wear tank top.
- Nearby Attractions
- Maritza River Bridge Shopping Center
- Monkey House
- Plovdiv International Airport
- Maritsa Hotel
- Sveta Marina Church
- Surp Kevork
- "st. St. Konstantin And Elena" Church
- Imaret Mosque
- Dzhumaya Mosque
- Danov Halm
- Plovdiv Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Plovdiv
- What to See in 48 Hours in Plovdiv
- What to See in 72 Hours in Plovdiv
- How to Spend 5 Days in Plovdiv
- How to Spend 6 Days in Plovdiv
- How to Spend 7 Days in Plovdiv