Bachkovo Monastery, PlovdivCurrently Closed
- Address: 86, 4251 Plovdiv and the Valley of the Kings, Bulgaria.
- Timings: 07:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +359-3327277
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Museum, Monument
About Bachkovo Monastery, Plovdiv
The Bachkovo Monastery, also known as the Petritsoni Monastery or Monastery of the Mother of God Petritzonitissa in Bulgaria, is one of the oldest and largest Eastern Orthodox monasteries in Europe. It is considered to be an important monument of Christian architecture, which is offers a unique combination of Byzantine, Georgian and Bulgarian culture. This site has undergone several restorations and reconstructions over the period of time. It is the final resting place of both Patriarch Euthymius (1330-1404) and Patriarch Cyril (1953-71). The monastery is also a National monument of culture, art and traditions. It is possible for you to stay at the monastery, to be a part of an Orthodox mass held here. Highlights and must sees include:
- The Ossuary – Only surviving part of the original structure.
- The Cathedral Church of the Virgin Mary – built in the place of the monastery’s oldest church destroyed by the Turks.
- The Church of the Archangels.
- Diospyros Tree – brought from Georgia more than 2 centuries ago.
- The Museum of the Monastery and the works of art.
- The ‘’Panorama” mural.
- The 14th century Virgin Mary icon.
Bachkovo Monastery Information
- The walkaway to the monastery gates has dozens of small stalls selling tourist knickknacks. You can try Rhodopean specialties and fast foods here.
Bachkovo Monastery Ticket Prices
- Free: Admission to the monastery grounds.
- LEV 4: Admission to the refectory.
- LEV 5: Guided tour of the refectory.
How To reach Bachkovo Monastery by Public Transport
- Walk or hire a taxi.
- Ask a local for bus details.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Plovdiv before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Plovdiv and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Bachkovo Monastery
95% of people who visit Plovdiv include Bachkovo Monastery in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
70.51% of people start their Bachkovo Monastery visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Bachkovo Monastery
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Bachkovo Monastery
Bachkovo Monastery, Plovdiv Reviews
Calm and sunny day. Awesome place. Everyone should visit it.
We found the monastery under renovation. Half of the places were closed and we could only see the central church (which is nice but really small). There was a nice walk that we did but the sign were not in English and everything was closed or not working. Reading the other reviews, I guess we were unlucky, but to us it was a loss of time
Worth visiting when you're passing by. There's 2 leva parking fee. What I was really happy with is that there are a lot of food stalls on the way to the monastery. You can buy a lot of cheap, but great quality home-made products :).
An amazing place with unique monastery and atmosphere, nature is beautiful and colourful, would definitely recommend
Great place, surrounded by Rodopi mountains. Bu sure to allow time to stop by many of the restaurants to eat their famous burgers (yes, Rodopi and Plovdiv burgers are famous in Turkey). Hiking in the monastery reserve is also a good idea.