Plymouth Synagogue Plymouth15 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Synagogue Chambers, Catherine Street, Plymouth, Devon PL1 2AD, United Kingdom, PL1 2AD
- Phone: +44-1752263162
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Community And Government, Religious, Synagogues
The oldest Ashkenazi Jew synagogue in the English world, this is a grade II listed building dating back to 1762. The whitewashed building in brick and stone with a Cornish slate roof continues to be a praying spot for Jews since the 18th century. The baroque Tohark Ark rising two stories in height and featuring fluted Corinthian columns, broken pediment, carved finials and urns in gold leaf are worth observing.
The building appears like a structure belonging to the nonconformist protestant and is believed to be designed in such a way to avoid the destruction from the riots that happened against the non-Anglican houses of worship in 18th century.
Plymouth Synagogue Plymouth Travel Tips
- Keep your head covered at all times.
- Maintain peace.
- Do not photograph without permission.
- Modest dressing is recommended.
- Ladies are requested to go on the level 2 and Men are requested to stay at the ground level during the service.
- Ladies who cannot climb the stairs can attend the service from ground level.
- Pre-booking is recommended for guided group visits.
- Disabled access available, call ahead for guidance.
Entrance Ticket Details For Plymouth Synagogue Plymouth
- Entry is free.
Plymouth Synagogue Plymouth Hours
- Prayer and candle lighting timings can be obtained locally.
How to Reach Plymouth Synagogue Plymouth
- Bus no 10, 10A, 50, 51, 51A
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Plymouth before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Plymouth and book an accommodation of your choice.