Andaman And Nicobar IslandsCurrently Open
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: 1 USD
The Andaman Islands have always been veiled in much mystery and also a lot of misconception. This land has been through a lot with the recent Tsunami causing a lot of destruction but is nevertheless quite pristine and beautiful. This beautiful paradise deserves to be explored.
Several ancient explorers were both intrigued by and fearful of these islands due to some reported cannibalism. Even after all these years however the islands remain unexplored. Yes. There are restricted areas in a small part of the Andaman region and Nicobar region. But this is mostly done to protect the tribes.The parts of the island which are open to tourism are completely safe and simply breathtaking.
The Ross Island Prison ruin which held political prisoners from the Indian Independence struggle is one of the many fascinating sights in the Andaman. Whether you want to try SCUBA or just laze around; Andaman is a lovely place to do it. The lovely sun and sand make this place an idyllic spot. It is home to some of the world’s cleanest beaches and there is really no reason not to visit this magical place.
Andaman And Nicobar Islands Travel Tips
Best time to visit:
- Summer - January to April: The Summer Months are picturesque with pristine & clear water so sunscreen is advised. However, the weather is perfect for the beach so tourism does occur quite regularly in this season.
- Monsoon - May to December: The monsoon season is also relatively mild thanks to the position of the islands and is quite a good time to visit as well. September and October are practically perfect times. Even at other times it is possible to enjoy exploring the islands. You may not enjoy the sunny beaches as much as you would in summer though. This is not the peak tourist season so you will have a relaxed holiday.
- Rain: It does Rain often in the Andaman and Nicobar region but if you carry rain gear with you the spurts of rain will not be an issue.
- Best time to visit: Between mid-November and April is the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar. Make sure that you plan the trip to accommodate all the activities you want to do.
How to Reach:
- If you plan to come by air the Port Blair airport, is connected with the airports of Chennai, Kolkata, New Delhi and Bhubaneswar in India. Domestic flights from these airports should be booked in advance during the tourist season. There are no international flights to and from Port Blair.
- Ship travel is certainly more fun. You will be able to find passenger ships from Vishakhapatnam, Chennai and even Kolkata to reach Andaman. M.V. Harshvardhana, M.V. Akbar, and M.V. SwarajDweep are some of the ships that travel there and the fares range from around 1700 to 8000 Indian Rupees depending upon the luxury of travel.
What to Do:
- Port Blair: Port Blair is not just about the beaches it also has several historic sites which are worth seeing and should certainly make it on to your travel itinerary.
- SCUBA Diving: The Fresh, colorful live corals make SCUBA diving a must-do activity here. You will be astonished at the amazing variety of rare and vibrant species of marine life you can see here. Dive sites like North Point, South East Reef (for first timers), Rutland island (quite shallow), and Turtle Bay amongst many others make this a Scuba Diver’s Paradise.
- Trekking and Birding: Andaman has amazing natural wealth and nature lovers should make the most of it by taking guided trekking and birding tours to acquaint themselves with the lovely flora and fauna of the place.
- Festivals and Events: The food festival in September is a great time to aim for. With fresh sea food on offer, what else does one need? The Beach Festival that is usually held in April is a fun filled event like volleyball and tug of war. These and a few more festivals ensure that the tourists have an exciting visit throughout the year.
- The restricted areas are simply off limits and you are expected to co-operate with the authorities for this. Tribal Areas of Andaman and Nicobar have been cordoned off.
- Indian Nationals do not need any permit to visit the islands. Others will require special permits for all the non-restricted areas.
- The Permit is usually issued for 30 days at a time.
- You can get the permit in advance or while entering the islands by flight.
10.53% of people who visit Port Blair include Andaman And Nicobar Islands in their plan
66.67% of people start their Andaman And Nicobar Islands visit around 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Andaman And Nicobar Islands
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Andaman And Nicobar Islands