Ross Island is a small yet historically significant island situated near Port Blair. It was the administrative headquarters for the British during their rule in the Andamans. During the British rule, that the island was developed to a perfect township. It had to be vacated however due to an earthquake. One can still find ruins of the fascinating buildings on the island, like the Ballroom, the Chief Commissioner's House, Govt. House, a Church, a Hospital, a Bakery, a Press, a Swimming Pool and Troop Barracks. Ofcourse, these all are in a decrepit condition. In its heyday, Ross Island was known as the ‘Paris of the East’. Today, the Island is under Indian Navy’s jurisdiction.
Entrance Ticket Details For Ross Island
- Entry ticket for Adult Rs.20
- Children between 5 and 12 years Rs.10
- Children under 5 years have free entry.
- Video Camera Rs.50; Still Camera Rs.10; Ferry ticket in between Rs.75 to Rs.100.
Ross Island Hours
- Ferry timings 8:30 am, 10:30 am, 12:30 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm and 4:30 pm.
- Service closed on Wednesdays.
How to Reach Ross Island
- Ferry from Aberdeen Jetty
- A snack shack is present on the island.
- Packed picnic basket is recommended.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Port Blair before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Port Blair and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Port Blair include Ross Island in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
47.34% of people start their Ross Island visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Ross Island
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ross Island