Visit Port Douglas - Best of Port Douglas
Over the last three decades Port Douglas, once a sleepy fishing town has transformed into a sophisticated holiday destination. Today there are numerous upscale resorts, luxurious spas, quaint bars and restaurants that serve delicious world cuisine. Port Douglas tourism has gained momentum and it attracts holidaymakers from all over the world.
The major draw of Port Douglas is its proximity to major tourist areas. It lies between two world heritage areas, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree National Park. There are several Port Douglas tour companies that organize trips to these attractions. It also lies just 70km north of Cairns and is ideal getaway for those who want to escape the hectic tourist scene there for a few days.
The town is charming and comprises only low-rise structures as the building restrictions cap the height at that of a palm tree. Port Douglas has a beautiful marina and the famous white-sand Four Mile Beach. There are a host of things to do in Port Douglas from exiting watersports and nature reserves to day trips nearby.
Any Port Douglas itinerary planner usually includes snorkeling and diving in the reef, hiking through the rainforests and several other outdoor activities. But if you prefer a more laidback holiday, plan a Port Douglas itinerary that lets you make the most of its pristine beaches, luxurious resorts and world-class spas where one can relax and unwind.
Port Douglas Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Port Douglas tips for your visit
- Port Douglas is a laid back town so most of the time casual comfortable clothing will suffice even in fancy restaurants.
- When travelling in any part of Australia, be sure to protect yourself from the sun. Bring a good strong sunscreen, a hat and your sunglasses and make sure you use them whenever outdoors.
- Most shops in Port Douglas are open 7 days a week so enjoy shopping.
- It is stinger season between November to June so although the water may be warm enough for a swim, it may not be safe.
- Four Mile Beach is ideal for swimming during stinger season as it has an enclosure that is safe for a stinger-free swim.
- When swimming in rivers or lakes ensure you heed the warning signs and check with the locals as crocodiles may be present.
- When visiting the rainforest or other wildlife areas do not feed them as this could be harmful for them and you.
Are you looking for a Port Douglas travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Port Douglas Tourist Information
Port Douglas Itineraries
Port Douglas Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Port Douglas
Cairns Airport Transfers6 Reviews
This Cairns Airport transfer can be taken from both the Domestic and International terminals both to and/or from Cairns City,...Book Now
Save 7%Skip the Line: Kuranda Scenic Railway Gold Class and Skyrail Rainforest Cableway107 Reviews
Duration: 8 Hrs
Experience the ultimate Kuranda visit with a skip-the-line ticket for the Kuranda Scenic Railway and Kuranda Skyrail, plus Go...
Save 7%Daintree Rainforest, Cape Tribulation and Rainforest Habitat Wildlife Sanctuary Day Tour311 Reviews
Duration: 11 Hrs
Travel from Cairns or Port Douglas along one of Australia's most scenic coastal roads to Cape Tribulation in World Heritage-l...
Save 7%Cape Tribulation, Mossman Gorge and Daintree Rainforest Day Trip from Cairns or Port Douglas55 Reviews
Duration: 12 Hrs
Marvel at the natural beauty of Cape Tribulation and its surrounding attractions on a day trip from Cairns and Port Douglas. ...