Visit Port Douglas - Best of Port Douglas
Over the last three decades Port Douglas, once a sleepy fishing town has transformed into a sophisticated holiday destination. Today there are numerous upscale resorts, luxurious spas, quaint bars and restaurants that serve delicious world cuisine. Port Douglas tourism has gained momentum and it attracts holidaymakers from all over the world.
The major draw of Port Douglas is its proximity to major tourist areas. It lies between two world heritage areas, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree National Park. There are several Port Douglas tour companies that organize trips to these attractions. It also lies just 70km north of Cairns and is ideal getaway for those who want to escape the hectic tourist scene there for a few days.
The town is charming and comprises only low-rise structures as the building restrictions cap the height at that of a palm tree. Port Douglas has a beautiful marina and the famous white-sand Four Mile Beach. There are a host of things to do in Port Douglas from exiting watersports and nature reserves to day trips nearby.
Any Port Douglas itinerary planner usually includes snorkeling and diving in the reef, hiking through the rainforests and several other outdoor activities. But if you prefer a more laidback holiday, plan a Port Douglas itinerary that lets you make the most of its pristine beaches, luxurious resorts and world-class spas where one can relax and unwind.
Port Douglas Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Port Douglas tips for your visit
- Port Douglas is a laid back town so most of the time casual comfortable clothing will suffice even in fancy restaurants.
- When travelling in any part of Australia, be sure to protect yourself from the sun. Bring a good strong sunscreen, a hat and your sunglasses and make sure you use them whenever outdoors.
- Most shops in Port Douglas are open 7 days a week so enjoy shopping.
- It is stinger season between November to June so although the water may be warm enough for a swim, it may not be safe.
- Four Mile Beach is ideal for swimming during stinger season as it has an enclosure that is safe for a stinger-free swim.
- When swimming in rivers or lakes ensure you heed the warning signs and check with the locals as crocodiles may be present.
- When visiting the rainforest or other wildlife areas do not feed them as this could be harmful for them and you.
Are you looking for a Port Douglas travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Port Douglas Tourist Information
Port Douglas Itineraries
Port Douglas Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Port Douglas
Save 7%Great Barrier Reef Scenic Helicopter Tour and Cruise from Port Douglas30 Reviews
Explore Australia's Great Barrier Reef from the air and the water! A scenic helicopter flight or high-speed catamaran cruise ...
Calypso Outer Great Barrier Reef Cruise from Port Douglas6 Reviews
Duration: 7 Hrs 30 Mins
Explore the very outer Great Barrier Reef in luxury and style with Calypso. The custom designed vessel will take you to Aginc...Book Now
Save 7%Outer Great Barrier Reef Snorkeling and Diving Cruise from Port Douglas19 Reviews
Duration: 8 Hrs
Based in Port Douglas, Poseidon is a modern 24metre (79ft) dive and snorkel catamaran designed for personalised Great Barrier...
Save 7%Scenic Helicopter Tour from Port Douglas5 Reviews
Take a scenic helicopter flight from Port douglas over the Great Barrier Reef, the Daintree Rainforest or both. Fly high abov...
Popular Hotels in Port DouglasView all Hotels in Port Douglas
- Syndicate Tourism
- Cairns Tourism
- Aloomba Tourism
- Yungaburra Tourism
- Cooktown Tourism
- Starcke Tourism
- Gamboola Tourism
- Lyndside Tourism
- Kalinga Tourism
- Hinchinbrook Island Tourism
- Lucinda Tourism
- Forrest Beach Tourism
- Sydney Tourism
- Melbourne Tourism
- Adelaide Tourism
- Geelong Tourism
- Perth Tourism
- Surfers Paradise Tourism
- Gold Coast Tourism
- Exmouth Tourism
- Byron Bay Tourism