Port Douglas Tourism
Visit Port Douglas - Best of Port Douglas
Over the last three decades Port Douglas, once a sleepy fishing town has transformed into a sophisticated holiday destination. Today there are numerous upscale resorts, luxurious spas, quaint bars and restaurants that serve delicious world cuisine. Port Douglas tourism has gained momentum and it attracts holidaymakers from all over the world.
The major draw of Port Douglas is its proximity to major tourist areas. It lies between two world heritage areas, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree National Park. There are several Port Douglas tour companies that organize trips to these attractions. It also lies just 70km north of Cairns and is ideal getaway for those who want to escape the hectic tourist scene there for a few days.
The town is charming and comprises only low-rise structures as the building restrictions cap the height at that of a palm tree. Port Douglas has a beautiful marina and the famous white-sand Four Mile Beach. There are a host of things to do in Port Douglas from exiting watersports and nature reserves to day trips nearby.
Any Port Douglas itinerary planner usually includes snorkeling and diving in the reef, hiking through the rainforests and several other outdoor activities. But if you prefer a more laidback holiday, plan a Port Douglas itinerary that lets you make the most of its pristine beaches, luxurious resorts and world-class spas where one can relax and unwind.
Port Douglas Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Port Douglas tips for your visit
- Port Douglas is a laid back town so most of the time casual comfortable clothing will suffice even in fancy restaurants.
- When travelling in any part of Australia, be sure to protect yourself from the sun. Bring a good strong sunscreen, a hat and your sunglasses and make sure you use them whenever outdoors.
- Most shops in Port Douglas are open 7 days a week so enjoy shopping.
- It is stinger season between November to June so although the water may be warm enough for a swim, it may not be safe.
- Four Mile Beach is ideal for swimming during stinger season as it has an enclosure that is safe for a stinger-free swim.
- When swimming in rivers or lakes ensure you heed the warning signs and check with the locals as crocodiles may be present.
- When visiting the rainforest or other wildlife areas do not feed them as this could be harmful for them and you.
Travel to Port Douglas- Know before you go to Port Douglas
Facts and Stats for Port Douglas*
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Attractions in Port Douglas
Port Douglas Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Port Douglas
Port Douglas Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Port Douglas
32 Reviews Duration: 10 Hrs
See the Great Barrier Reef's coral and marine life on this full-day trip from Port Douglas. Whether you are a snorkeler or a ...
USD 225.94Book Now
26 Reviews Duration: 1 Hrs 30 Mins
Experience a peaceful, tranquil sunset during a sailing cruise from Port Douglas. After being welcomed aboard a luxury catama...
USD 48.16Book Now
6 Reviews Duration: 5 Hrs 30 Mins
Sail to the Great Barrier Reefs Low Isles during a relaxing, afternoon cruise aboard a luxury catamaran. Moor at a secluded i...
USD 207.15Book Now
16 Reviews Duration: 8 Hrs
For a prestigious Great Barrier Reef experience, take a ride on an ultra-modern, high-speed, luxury catamaran to three Outer ...
USD 197Book Now