Port Douglas Tourism
Over the last three decades Port Douglas, once a sleepy fishing town has transformed into a sophisticated holiday destination. Today there are numerous upscale resorts, luxurious spas, quaint bars and restaurants that serve delicious world cuisine. Port Douglas tourism has gained momentum and it attracts holidaymakers from all over the world.
The major draw of Port Douglas is its proximity to major tourist areas. It lies between two world heritage areas, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree National Park. There are several Port Douglas tour companies that organize trips to these attractions. It also lies just 70km north of Cairns and is ideal getaway for those who want to escape the hectic tourist scene there for a few days.
The town is charming and comprises only low-rise structures as the building restrictions cap the height at that of a palm tree. Port Douglas has a beautiful marina and the famous white-sand Four Mile Beach. There are a host of things to do in Port Douglas from exiting watersports and nature reserves to day trips nearby.
Any Port Douglas itinerary planner usually includes snorkeling and diving in the reef, hiking through the rainforests and several other outdoor activities. But if you prefer a more laidback holiday, plan a Port Douglas itinerary that lets you make the most of its pristine beaches, luxurious resorts and world-class spas where one can relax and unwind.
Essential travel information and Port Douglas tips for your visit
- Port Douglas is a laid back town so most of the time casual comfortable clothing will suffice even in fancy restaurants.
- When travelling in any part of Australia, be sure to protect yourself from the sun. Bring a good strong sunscreen, a hat and your sunglasses and make sure you use them whenever outdoors.
- Most shops in Port Douglas are open 7 days a week so enjoy shopping.
- It is stinger season between November to June so although the water may be warm enough for a swim, it may not be safe.
- Four Mile Beach is ideal for swimming during stinger season as it has an enclosure that is safe for a stinger-free swim.
- When swimming in rivers or lakes ensure you heed the warning signs and check with the locals as crocodiles may be present.
- When visiting the rainforest or other wildlife areas do not feed them as this could be harmful for them and you.
Port Douglas Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Port Douglas. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Port Douglas trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Port Douglas
Save 7%Reef and Rainforest Tandem Sky Dive in Cairns
3 Hrs38 Reviews
Save 7%Great Barrier Reef Sailing and Snorkeling Cruise from Port Douglas
7 Hrs 30 Mins78 Reviews
Save 7%Afternoon Low Isles Snorkeling and Sailing Cruise from Port Douglas
5 Hrs 30 Mins8 Reviews