Port Louis Tourism
Port Louis is the cosmopolitan capital of Mauritius and is considered to be one of the most sought after exotic getaways in the world. Located at the northwest coast of Mauritius, Port Louis is the economic, cultural and political centre of the country. The city was used as a harbour in the year 1638. It was later converted into the administrative centre of Mauritius under the French Government in the year 1735 by the French governor and pioneer Bertrand-François Mahé de La Bourdonnais. The development in the city took place under the French Colonization era and Port Louis was selected to house both the main harbour and fort for the island. The city again underwent modernization and development in the late 1970’s that has helped the city maintain its importance. Today, Port Louis is a vibrant and an exotic getaway destination, boasting cultural and historical treasures, ancient architecture of basaltic rocks that are the remnants from the French and the British Colonization era, colourful markets, luxury beach resorts, museums, an amphitheatre of mountains, pristine beaches, immaculate landscape, panoramic views of the ocean, excellent cuisine and a plethora of activities to participate in including dolphin and whale sighting tours, wildlife safaris, sightseeing tours, helicopter and sea plane tours, spas and massages, underwater activities, sea water activities and yacht tours. The history, culture, sounds, sites, tastes, traditions and experiences of Mauritius all merge together to offer you an outstandingly unique and mesmerising experience.
Essential travel information and Port Louis tips for your visit
- Port Louis Time Zone - Mauritius Time Zone (UTC+04:00)
- Currency – Currency in Port Louis is Mauritian rupee.
- Electricity - Egypt uses 230 V, 50 Hz alternating current as the power. Plugs and sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C) and have grounded / earthed 3 pin connections (Type G).
- Languages - The official language of Mauritius is English. Many people can therefore understand and speak it. The main language of the island however is Creole which is based on French. Other languages include Chinese and Hindi.
- Internet – 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. There are numerous Cafes providing free Wi-Fi to the tourists.
- Security – Police: 122, 999, Fire Services: 115, Coast Guards: 212 2747
- Tipping – Tipping in Mauritius is optional but not necessary.
- Petty crime, such as pickpocketing, bag snatching and theft, has increased. It is essential to make sure that your bags and personal belongings are secure.
- Exercise caution when withdrawing money from automated banking machines (ABMs) as robberies have been reported.
- Avoid walking alone after dark outside hotel grounds and on beaches.
- Do not trek or hike alone.
- Exercise caution when swimming, particularly outside marked areas as there is a risk of stonefish stings.
- The laws of Mauritius prohibit sexual acts between individuals of the same sex. LGBT travellers should carefully consider the risks of travelling to Mauritius.
- It is essential to ask for permission before taking photographs.
- Do not wear shorts, mini-skirts or sleeveless shirts while visiting religious shrines.
- Nudity and topless sunbathing is not allowed on hotel beaches and is frowned upon on public beaches.
Port Louis Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Port Louis. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Port Louis trip planner.