Blue Penny MuseumCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Caudan Waterfront, Block A, Port Louis, Mauritius
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +230-2108176
- Ticket Price: 50 MUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids
Blue Penny Museum - Review
Inside Port Louis’ famous mall, Le Caudan Waterfront, lies Mauritius’ most precious treasure, the Blue Penny Museum. It’s called the Blue Penny because of a 2 pence blue stamp, one of the two rare stamps that are the pride and joy of not only the museum, but also the country. The other stamp being a one penny red stamp; in order to preserve the original colors of the stamps, they are only lit for 10 minutes, every hour.
The Museum does however step outside the realm of stamps and has exhibits that talk about the history of the island, the times of the exploration, settlement and subsequent colonization that the island has seen. One of the best museums of Port Louis, some of the most unique maps, engravings and photographs of Port Louis are on display here.
Blue Penny Museum Information
- Guided tour for resident groups is available on reservation.
- No photography is allowed inside the museum.
- The Post Office stamps are available for 10minutes on the half hour of every opening hour.
- Food and drinks are not permitted inside the museum.
Blue Penny Museum Ticket Prices
- For residents: 50MUR
- For groups of residents (adults/children/students/seniors): 50MUR for guided tour
Blue Penny Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- The museum closes exceptionally at 2:00 pm on 24th and 31st December.
- The exhibition rooms start to close at 4:30 pm.
- The museum admissions desk and boutique close at 4:30 pm.
How To reach Blue Penny Museum by Public Transport
- Victoria Square (Bus Stop)
Restaurants Near Blue Penny Museum
- Grand Ocean (Chinese cuisine)
- Le Capitaine (European and Fusion)
- Namaste (Indian cuisine)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Port Louis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Port Louis and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Blue Penny Museum
95% of people who visit Port Louis include Blue Penny Museum in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
73.95% of people start their Blue Penny Museum visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Blue Penny Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Blue Penny Museum
Blue Penny Museum Map
Blue Penny Museum Trips
2 Views13 Days 12 Nights13 Day Trip to Port Louis, Souillac, PamplemoussesBy: Guest UserCity: Chamarel, Pamplemousses, Souillac, Port Louis
Blue Penny Museum, Port Louis Reviews
Amazing place for philatelist. Its most valuable stamp according to me is the one of "Queen Victoria II" which is estimated to be worth around $4 million. For those who might be thinking of touching the stamp, it isn't possible. Place has been maintained properly for years and has somehow a colonial look.
This is must see on Mauricius to have some overview about island history and of course well known stamps. Real ones are enlighted 10 minutes every half an hour (no worries,guide will notify you) to protect them. No photo allowed unfortunetally.
Great attraction of tourists.it has paid parking and nice location .entry ticket which differs for locals and tourists. Has a free expo of models of all historic buildings of Mauritius. You can also buy souveneir and stamps.
Great place to know about the history of Mauritius as well as that of the very famous Paul & Virginie Fun learning with the kids
Iconic place for both locals and foreigner... A visit is a must
All QuestionsBlue penny museum
- Chafariz Na Fragosela De Cima Em Viseu
- Fonte De Fragosela Em Viseu
- Pelourinho De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento Brasil Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Escultura Em Homenagem Ao Comendador José Nunes Martins Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca Do Outeiro Do Rato Em Carregal Do Sal
- Solar Dos Soares De Albergaria
- Casa Grande De Oliveira Do Conde Em Tondela
- Fonte De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Pelourinho De Alvarelhos Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca 1 Do Ameal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento à Independência De Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Penedo Da Víbora Em Carregal Do Sal
- Inscrições De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca De Santo Tisco Em Carregal Do Sal