Fort GeorgeCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Fort George Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8686757034
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Battlefield, View Point, Historical Site, Fort
Fort George - Review
Sit upon a wooden bench and take in the stunning view of a misty, hazy Port of Spain, as dewy grass sprouts by your feet and ancient canons lie silenced beside you. Hills covered in green will accompany you as you look over the Gulf of Paria and stories hidden by the passage of time slink in secrecy all around you atop Fort George.
Formerly called ‘La Vigie’, the fort was created in 1804 and was the major defensive position of the island. Just 20 minutes away from capital city, the Fort was a series of ships and ramparts once upon a time, created to protect the island from pirates and other invaders. The Fort actually never saw any military battles during its functional lifetime and was used more often as a hiding place for precious belongings by the rich in times of revolt. In 1883, a Victorian styled signal station was built but ceased to operate by 1964, and the structure still stands today.
- There are multitudes of historic creations to see, still in admirable condition, including the area that was utlized as a hiding place, which is now used to store maintenance materials.
- The original rock walls, the fortification, still stand and within the enclosure are picnic tables that await the visitors that want to immerse themselves in the silence of the area, while enjoying a snack.
- You’ll be treated to breath-taking views of the Gulf of Paria, the city, Bay Shore and numerous other areas.
- On a day when the mist clears, you’ll be able to see the swampland and even as far as the hills of Venezuela.
The drive the fort is narrow and winding and will take up an uphill road. Though the journey is little taxing, it’ll prove to be fun for the adventurous and the bird’s eye view from the top is truly worth the journey up.
Fort George Information
- There are many eating and lounging areas scattered around the fort.
- There are washroom facilities available.
How To reach Fort George by Public Transport
- You can only take a taxi till here.
Restaurants Near Fort George
- Jenny’s on the Boulevard (Asian, Pacific)
- The Carlton Savannah
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Port Of Spain before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Port Of Spain and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Fort George
95% of people who visit Port Of Spain include Fort George in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
57.29% of people start their Fort George visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Fort George
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort George
Fort George Map
Fort George Trips
1 View12 Days 11 Nights12 Day Trip to Glasgow, Fort William, Inverness, FBy: Guest UserCity: Glasgow, Fort William, Inverness, Falkland
Fort George, Port Of Spain Reviews
Narrow but good windy road. Superb views. Historical and a good place to relax. Facilities work. Lots of seats to have a picnic.
Great view overlooking capital and a faded image of Venezuela with the Gulf of Paria separating us in between. Awesome scenic view 😍
Slim narrow two way winding road leads up to Fort George. Drive carefully! Once there enjoy the most amazing view.
Best view of the city. Fresh breeze nice ambiance perfect for family picnic or to hang out
Stunning views. Perfect location to finish the day and shoot the sunset.