Fort George458 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Fort George Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8686757034
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Battlefield, View Point, Historical Site, Fort
Sit upon a wooden bench and take in the stunning view of a misty, hazy Port of Spain, as dewy grass sprouts by your feet and ancient canons lie silenced beside you. Hills covered in green will accompany you as you look over the Gulf of Paria and stories hidden by the passage of time slink in secrecy all around you atop Fort George.
Formerly called ‘La Vigie’, the fort was created in 1804 and was the major defensive position of the island. Just 20 minutes away from capital city, the Fort was a series of ships and ramparts once upon a time, created to protect the island from pirates and other invaders. The Fort actually never saw any military battles during its functional lifetime and was used more often as a hiding place for precious belongings by the rich in times of revolt. In 1883, a Victorian styled signal station was built but ceased to operate by 1964, and the structure still stands today.
- There are multitudes of historic creations to see, still in admirable condition, including the area that was utlized as a hiding place, which is now used to store maintenance materials.
- The original rock walls, the fortification, still stand and within the enclosure are picnic tables that await the visitors that want to immerse themselves in the silence of the area, while enjoying a snack.
- You’ll be treated to breath-taking views of the Gulf of Paria, the city, Bay Shore and numerous other areas.
- On a day when the mist clears, you’ll be able to see the swampland and even as far as the hills of Venezuela.
The drive the fort is narrow and winding and will take up an uphill road. Though the journey is little taxing, it’ll prove to be fun for the adventurous and the bird’s eye view from the top is truly worth the journey up.
Fort George Travel Tips
- There are many eating and lounging areas scattered around the fort.
- There are washroom facilities available.
How to Reach Fort George
- You can only take a taxi till here.
- Jenny’s on the Boulevard (Asian, Pacific)
- The Carlton Savannah
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Port Of Spain before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Port Of Spain and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Port Of Spain include Fort George in their plan
43.95% of people start their Fort George visit around 08 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Fort George
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort George
Fort George Reviews & Ratings
Who or what does the fort George honor?Answer Report Abuse
Wat was the fort George made out of?Answer Report Abuse