Fort GeorgeCurrently Closed
- Address: Fort George Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8686757034
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Battlefield, View Point, Historical Site, Fort
Fort George - Review
Sit upon a wooden bench and take in the stunning view of a misty, hazy Port of Spain, as dewy grass sprouts by your feet and ancient canons lie silenced beside you. Hills covered in green will accompany you as you look over the Gulf of Paria and stories hidden by the passage of time slink in secrecy all around you atop Fort George.
Formerly called ‘La Vigie’, the fort was created in 1804 and was the major defensive position of the island. Just 20 minutes away from capital city, the Fort was a series of ships and ramparts once upon a time, created to protect the island from pirates and other invaders. The Fort actually never saw any military battles during its functional lifetime and was used more often as a hiding place for precious belongings by the rich in times of revolt. In 1883, a Victorian styled signal station was built but ceased to operate by 1964, and the structure still stands today.
- There are multitudes of historic creations to see, still in admirable condition, including the area that was utlized as a hiding place, which is now used to store maintenance materials.
- The original rock walls, the fortification, still stand and within the enclosure are picnic tables that await the visitors that want to immerse themselves in the silence of the area, while enjoying a snack.
- You’ll be treated to breath-taking views of the Gulf of Paria, the city, Bay Shore and numerous other areas.
- On a day when the mist clears, you’ll be able to see the swampland and even as far as the hills of Venezuela.
The drive the fort is narrow and winding and will take up an uphill road. Though the journey is little taxing, it’ll prove to be fun for the adventurous and the bird’s eye view from the top is truly worth the journey up.
Fort George Information
- There are many eating and lounging areas scattered around the fort.
- There are washroom facilities available.
How To reach Fort George by Public Transport
- You can only take a taxi till here.
Restaurants Near Fort George
- Jenny’s on the Boulevard (Asian, Pacific)
- The Carlton Savannah
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Port Of Spain before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Port Of Spain and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Fort George
95% of people who visit Port Of Spain include Fort George in their plan
43.95% of people start their Fort George visit around 08 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Fort George
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort George
Fort George Trips
Fort George, Port Of Spain Reviews
Great views from the fort. The lawns are very well maintained but the area itself can use some development. The road to get there is very windy and narrow. Recommended.
Narrow but good winding, lonely, and scary at times road (don't go there at night). Superb views. Historical and a good place to relax. The facilities work. Lots of seats to have a picnic or just relax. Signs of degradation. No visible signs of security.
I love this place because it's a vantage point where you can see the Gulf of paria and you can also experience wonderful sun set in the West. :)
It's a historic sites but they have no tour guide
Another amazing view of the beautiful island from up high.