Fort George, Port Of Spain
About Fort George, Port Of Spain
Fort George, Port Of Spain - Address, Phone Number
Address: Fort George Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 2.5K times in trip plans
Battlefield, View Point, Historical Site, Fort
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Sit upon a wooden bench and take in the stunning view of a misty, hazy Port of Spain, as dewy grass sprouts by your feet and ancient canons lie silenced beside you. Hills covered in green will accompany you as you look over the Gulf of Paria and stories hidden by the passage of time slink in secrecy all around you atop Fort George.
Formerly called ‘La Vigie’, the fort was created in 1804 and was the major defensive position of the island. Just 20 minutes away from capital city, the Fort was a series of ships and ramparts once upon a time, created to protect the island from pirates and other invaders. The Fort actually never saw any military battles during its functional lifetime and was used more often as a hiding place for precious belongings by the rich in times of revolt. In 1883, a Victorian styled signal station was built but ceased to operate by 1964, and the structure still stands today.
- There are multitudes of historic creations to see, still in admirable condition, including the area that was utlized as a hiding place, which is now used to store maintenance materials.
- The original rock walls, the fortification, still stand and within the enclosure are picnic tables that await the visitors that want to immerse themselves in the silence of the area, while enjoying a snack.
- You’ll be treated to breath-taking views of the Gulf of Paria, the city, Bay Shore and numerous other areas.
- On a day when the mist clears, you’ll be able to see the swampland and even as far as the hills of Venezuela.
The drive the fort is narrow and winding and will take up an uphill road. Though the journey is little taxing, it’ll prove to be fun for the adventurous and the bird’s eye view from the top is truly worth the journey up.
Fort George Information
- There are many eating and lounging areas scattered around the fort.
- There are washroom facilities available.
How To reach Fort George by Public Transport
- You can only take a taxi till here.
Restaurants Near Fort George
- Jenny’s on the Boulevard (Asian, Pacific)
- The Carlton Savannah
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Port Of Spain before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Port Of Spain and book an accommodation of your choice.
Fort George, Port Of Spain Reviews - Write a Review
Endless views of the city and ocean in all directions but east. It appears to be about 320 meters elevation on a topo map, but would have guessed a lot more due to so much "air" (I failed to take a picture that gave a sense of view so please check the other reviews). Stone fort, cannon and grounds all well kept and clean. The access road is narrow, steep, and frightening both up and down! Something for everyone so don't miss it.
Great place for an outing! Take a camera to remember the amazing views 📸🇹🇹
Perfect for relaxation.... Soothes the mind.
The view from the top was incredible. Great place to picnic!
Lovely location, but I have been reliably informed that it may be dangerous to visit now.
- Nearby Attractions
- Chaguaramas Boardwalk
- Blanchisseuse Spring Bridge
- Turtle Beach By Rex Resorts
- Adam Smith Square
- Woodford Square
- Crews Inn Hotel And Yacht Club
- Port Of Spain Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Port Of Spain
- What to See in 48 Hours in Port Of Spain
- What to See in 72 Hours in Port Of Spain
- How to Spend 5 Days in Port Of Spain
- How to Spend 6 Days in Port Of Spain
- How to Spend 7 Days in Port Of Spain