Maracas Bay, Port Of Spain
Maracas Bay - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: Maracas Bay Village, North Coast Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 3.1K times in trip plans
Beach, Leisure, Family And Kids
Our perfect trip planning tool will help you design a perfect itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Maracas Bay, Port Of Spain
Dig your feet into the white sand, as the smell of deep fried fish dishes waft around you, mingling with the salty air. The vast expanse of beach beautifully contrasts the deep green loveliness of the mountains you’ll see as you travel to the beach. This is Maracas Bay, a popular spot for fishing and sunbathing just an hour away from Port of Spain.
The Bay is Trinidad’s most popular beach area, with clean sand, tall palm trees and a green mountain range in the horizon. To get there, you’ll have to drive through these picturesque rainforest, filled with mossy mountains, which should prove to be a soothing experience. Gazing at tranquil, green nature is always good for our eyes. Once at the Bay, there are many different kinds of activities you can take part in.
The sea here is perfect for water sports, and on a bright, clear day you’ll find surfers swooping on the around the waves, paddle boats, and divers exploring the sea’s depths. The luscious mountains are also a hikers dream, with several easy trails upon them.
The Bay is also home to numerous colourful vending stalls, where clothes and knick knacks are sold to those who seek souvenirs of their island holiday to take home.
Trinidad and Tobago are famous for their delicious fruit preserves and candies, and you’ll find jars upon jars of sour prunes, red mango and salted prunes along with world famous candies.
Besides these sweet treats, another island ‘must try’ is their famous local ‘Fish and Bake, a combination of deep fried flour stuffed with tender shark meat. These tasty creations will fill your tummy after a long day of exploring the natural beauty of the area, soaking up sun and playing your favourite beach games.
All these activities are enhanced by the stunning beauty around you, and as the trees sway and you play in the Bay, you’ll be glad you visited this ‘perfect beach’ during your stay!
Maracas Bay Information
- You can rent beach chairs.
- There are life guards present.
- You can fish, surf, paddle, dive and hike here.
- There are toilets and changing room facilities near the car park.
- There is Maracas Beach hotel located at the western end of the beach near the fishing village where there are a few small shops and bars. On the eastern end of the beach is where the popular Uncle Sam's Bar is located.
- There are other beaches located further up the north coast like Tyrico bay, Las Cuevas and Blanchisseuse bay.
- The parking facilities and beach facilities have a small charge. In 2011, they were 5 and 1 dollars respectively.
- In case you find the rentable beach chairs too expensive, you can carry beach towels to sit on.
- During the week days the beach is very quiet and peaceful with not much of a crowd.
- The water can get rough when it’s windy.
- On the weekends and public holidays can be crowded.
- There are no sun shades, so do get your sun hats or beach umbrellas.
How To reach Maracas Bay by Public Transport
- Buses leave the Port of Spain Bus Terminal to Maracas Beach every 4 1/2 hours beginning at 4:00am.
- You can also take a taxi.
Restaurants Near Maracas Bay
- Richard’s Shark and Bake (Seafood, Sandwiches)
- Chaud Creole (Caribbean)
- Joseph’s (French, Greek, Lebanese)
- Aioli (European, French, Italian, Spanish)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Port Of Spain before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Port Of Spain and book an accommodation of your choice.