Queen's Park Savannah583 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Queen's Park E, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Park, Family And Kids
Trinidad and Tobago is a little island country that is home to many influences, Spanish, Indian and British just being a few. One can see this riot of culture at Queen’s Park Savannah, as people play cricket and rugby during the day and polish off some rotis in the evening, all the while surrounded by stunning Spanish era architecture.
The Peschier family used this 260 acre space of grassy land to grow sugar, and at its heart lay the Peschier Cemetery. The entire area, except the cemetery, was bought by the City Council, who then turned it into grazing land. Soon, the area was turned into a public park meant for the people of Port of Spain. Ever since the early 19th century, the space has been source of joy and a peaceful place to enjoy at ones leisure. This leveled area is perfect for all kinds of sport, with just a ring of trees around its edge. A horse racing track allowed equestrians and racing lovers to unite, while pitches were creates for rugby, cricket and football.
Today, the Savannah is used for pretty much the same reasons. Joggers and walkers take full advantage of its great size, while other sports are played upon its grassy surface. In addition to it being a meeting point for the athletically inclined, it also serves as a visual point of interest for many thanks to the beautiful Spanish architecture present here, as well as other interesting shops and buildings that surround the Savannah at all sides.
- Nature lovers will gravitate towards the northern side, as the Royal Botanic Gardens and Emperor Valley Zoo are placed there. Those interested in historical buildings can visit the official residences of the country’s president and prime minister, as well as the Queen’s Hall.
- To southern side, is the Grandstand, a large area used for all kinds of colourful cultural events that was once used as a horse racing venue.
- The western side is where the real architectural beauties are, home of the ‘Magnificent Seven’. These gorgeous late Victorian buildings consist of a college, the residences of the Bishop and Archbishop and other ornate chateaus that are as beautiful as the flowers that grow upon the Savannah.
Make your way through people playing ball and nature lovers picnicking in the grass and find yourself at the centre of Queen’s Park Savannah, the Port of Spain’s largest open space (and the biggest traffic roundabout in the world!)
Queen's Park Savannah Travel Tips
- You’ll find vendors of oyster, corn and coconut here.
- Fridays and Saturdays are the best days to go.
- There are a lot of music concerts that take place here.
- Take a St. Ann’s taxi at the taxi stand located at the corner of Hart and Frederick Streets and the driver will drop you off directly in front of the compound.
How to Reach Queen's Park Savannah
- At the Public Transport Service Corporation’s hub at City Gate in Port of Spain, hourly scheduled buses proceed along the Queen’s Park Savannah from 6:00am to 6:00pm.
- Chaud’s Restaurant (Creole)
- Ipanema Restaurant and Lounge (Brazilian, Contemporary)
- Jenny’s on the Boulevard (Chinese)
- Battimamzelle (Caribbean)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Port Of Spain before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Port Of Spain and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Queen's Park Savannah Address: Queen's Park E, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Queen's Park Savannah Timing: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Best time to visit Queen's Park Savannah(preferred time): 10:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Time required to visit Queen's Park Savannah: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
90.53% of people who visit Port Of Spain include Queen's Park Savannah in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
46.15% of people start their Queen's Park Savannah visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Queen's Park Savannah
92.19% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Queen's Park Savannah
People normally club together Emperor Valley Zoo and Queen's Hall while planning their visit to Queen's Park Savannah.