The largest city in the state of Oregon, Portland is a heady mixture of artistic vibrancy, outdoor adventures, friendly people, pleasant neighbourhoods and ofcourse, greenery. Environment activists fondly call the city ‘a nation of tree huggers’. Bet your Portland travel guide did not tell you this! Civilization actually set up base over here due to the Willamette River which slices through the city-during the 1840s, settlements began emerging around the waterbody. Today, the bustling and lively downtown area of Portland along with its many shopping stores is located on its banks. The river does bring with it scenic as well as crowded bunch of bridges.
Having an unbiased and progressive outlook, this joyous city is totally stylish and sophisticated and yet it is unpretentious and has preserved a small-town aura about it. Up to date in latest technology and having a comprehensive culinary scene, visiting the city features on almost everybody’s wishlist. If you are planning on visiting Portland, here is all the information you will require- from when to visit to what to see to where to eat and everything in between. Each one of you should visit Portland at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Portland.
Essential travel information and Portland tips for your visit
- Time Zone: PST (UTC-8)
- Currency: USD
- Electricity and Internet: Plugs types used in United States is A and B & 120V, 60Hz AC. Free Wi-Fi connection can be found easily in all the hotels and major public places in Portland.
- Languages: The predominant language spoken in Portland is English.
- Security: 911 is the common emergency number.
- Tipping: 15-20% is customary for service staff; 10% for taxis.
- Other tips: Do pack a raincoat/ umbrella if you plan on visiting the city during winter or spring seasons.
- Rent a bicycle and explore the nooks and crannies of this beautiful city.
- While there, do go beer brewery hopping! With over 40 breweries spread across the city, this is the best Portland travel tip you will ever get!
Portland Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Portland. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Portland trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Portland
Oregon Coast Day Trip: Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock
8 Hrs385 Reviews
Portland Sightseeing Tour Including Columbia Gorge Waterfalls
8 Hrs 30 Mins408 Reviews
Portland Morning City Tour
3 Hrs 30 Mins142 Reviews
Mt Hood Day Trip from Portland to Multnomah Falls and Hood River
8 Hrs 30 Mins522 Reviews
Willamette Valley Wine Tour from Portland (Tasting Fees Included)
6 Hrs186 Reviews
Afternoon Half-Day Multnomah Falls and Columbia River Gorge Waterfalls Tour from Portland
3 Hrs 30 Mins298 Reviews