Clerigos Tower2437 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Rua Senhor Filipe de Nery, 4050-546 Porto, Portugal
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-222001729
- Ticket Price: 2 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Tower
Clerigos Tower, the tall bell tower at Clerigos Church, dominates the skyline of Porto. At the time of its completion in 1763, it was the tallest structure in Portugal.
This imposing masterpiece is the work of Nicolau Nasoni, an 18th century Italian architect whose stroke of genius can be found all around northern Portugal. He designed both the Clerigos Church and Tower in classic Baroque elements. Later in life, Nasoni himself joined the Clerigos brotherhood and was buried at the Clerigos Church upon his death.
The delightful panoramic view of Porto, the beach and River Duoro from the top of the tower comes at a hefty price – you need to climb the steep 240 steps to the top. Your other option is to climb the outside of the tower, as an acrobatic father and son duo is known to have done in 1917.
Despite the arduous challenge, the 250 year old Clerigos Tower remains a very popular tourist destination. It stands 76 m tall.
Clerigos Tower Travel Tips
- Only a limited number of people are allowed inside at any given time. You might have to wait your turn for 15-20 minutes.
- The staircase to the top of the tower is narrow and can get quite crowded during the day – it can prove to be very difficult for those not in a good shape.
- Watch out for openings along the stairs. Children should not climb up unsupervised.
Entrance Ticket Details For Clerigos Tower
- A combined ticket for Clerigos Tower and the Museum Centre of Santa Casa da Misericordia is available for € 3.
- If you are a Porto Card holder, you can avail ticket discounts at this attraction.
How to Reach Clerigos Tower
- By Metro: Line D – ‘Aliados’ and walk towards the tower.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Porto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Porto and book an accommodation of your choice.
83.83% of people who visit Porto include Clerigos Tower in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
45.03% of people start their Clerigos Tower visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Clerigos Tower
78.09% of people prefer walking in order to reach Clerigos Tower