Clerigos TowerCurrently Closed
- Address: Rua Senhor Filipe de Nery, 4050-546 Porto, Portugal
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-222001729
- Ticket Price: 2 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Tourist Center, Tower
Clerigos Tower, the tall bell tower at Clerigos Church, dominates the skyline of Porto. At the time of its completion in 1763, it was the tallest structure in Portugal.
This imposing masterpiece is the work of Nicolau Nasoni, an 18th century Italian architect whose stroke of genius can be found all around northern Portugal. He designed both the Clerigos Church and Tower in classic Baroque elements. Later in life, Nasoni himself joined the Clerigos brotherhood and was buried at the Clerigos Church upon his death.
The delightful panoramic view of Porto, the beach and River Duoro from the top of the tower comes at a hefty price – you need to climb the steep 240 steps to the top. Your other option is to climb the outside of the tower, as an acrobatic father and son duo is known to have done in 1917.
Despite the arduous challenge, the 250 year old Clerigos Tower remains a very popular tourist destination. It stands 76 m tall.
- Only a limited number of people are allowed inside at any given time. You might have to wait your turn for 15-20 minutes.
- The staircase to the top of the tower is narrow and can get quite crowded during the day – it can prove to be very difficult for those not in a good shape.
- Watch out for openings along the stairs. Children should not climb up unsupervised.
- A combined ticket for Clerigos Tower and the Museum Centre of Santa Casa da Misericordia is available for € 3.
- If you are a Porto Card holder, you can avail ticket discounts at this attraction.
- By Metro: Line D – ‘Aliados’ and walk towards the tower.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Porto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Porto and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Porto include Clerigos Tower in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
45.03% of people start their Clerigos Tower visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Clerigos Tower
78.09% of people prefer walking in order to reach Clerigos Tower
Fantastic tower. If you love towers, this one is a totally ill tower to climb and see Porto from. Sweeping views of this beautiful city. Gets a little crowded at the top, but manageable. No hesitation, go here if you're in Porto.
Lovely museum filled with Christian relics and lovely to see the church from above, beautiful! The climb was easy and worth it, two levels so turn right at the top of the stairs keep going and you'll come to another set of stairs going up. Stunning views of Porto 😊
A must stop to get a 360 view of the beautiful town. Go early as it gets very busy. Opens at 9am and you must be able to climb stairs.
The views are excellent. The church is free access. Ticket for tower was 5€ in sep 2018. It is a hard and narrow at times climb to the top, but absolutely worth it. The personnel in the tower will try to move everyone along rapidly, so be prepared with your cameras:) All in all, money well spent and I would absolutely recommend this for everyone without a heart condition.
Prepare to climb a lot of stairs, but it's worth it. Beautiful view of multiple angles of the city. Included us gallery views of the beautiful church as well, all for only 5 Euros.