Dom Luis Bridge908 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Ponte Luis I, Porto, Portugal
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, River, Bridge, Walking Area, Family And Kids, Boating, Train Ride
At first sight, the Dom Luis Bridge appears to be a prototype of the Eiffel Tower. The thought hits you even without prior knowledge of the fact that the chief engineer, Teophile Seyrig, had previously partnered with Gustave Eiffel.
At the time of its construction in the early 1880s, the 172 metre metal arch bridge was the longest of its kind in the world. The bridge is built over River Duoro and connects the cities of Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia.
When the bridge was inaugurated in October 1886, it weighed 3045 tons and stretched 395 m in length. The upper and lower decks of the Dom Luis have been used for carrying motor vehicles, trams and more recently a Metro line. Pedestrians can also use the bridge to cross the river.
- There are a variety of ways to explore the Dom Luis Bridge. You can walk on the lower level of the bridge and take a cable car to the upper level. Taking a boat ride would be a good idea - it offer excellent views of the bridge.
- Visitors can enjoy a slow, picturesque train ride over the Dom Luis.
- If you are walking from Porto to the city of Vila Nova de Gaia, use this as an opportunity to check out the wine warehouses of that city. Get off at Jardim do Morro in Gaia and you will find a couple of wine lodges a short walk away.
It is an absolute delight to view the Dom Luis at night when it is brightly illuminated. The upper deck offers spectacular panoramic view of the city. It is especially good spot to watch the sun go down. Don’t forget your cameras.
Dom Luis Bridge Travel Tips
- The nearby eateries are on the expensive side.
- If you plan to walk the stretch, watch out for the metro trains on the bridge.
How to Reach Dom Luis Bridge
- By Tram: Line D in the direction of Santo Ovidio.
- Restaurante Taberna De Bebobos
- Dom Tonho
- Peter Cafe Sport Porto
- Penela’s Douro
- SHE Bistro –Restaurante
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Porto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Porto and book an accommodation of your choice.
24.99% of people who visit Porto include Dom Luis Bridge in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
60.94% of people start their Dom Luis Bridge visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Dom Luis Bridge
53.89% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Dom Luis Bridge