Porto CathedralCurrently Open [Closes at 12:30 pm]
- Address: Terreiro da Se, 4050-573 Porto, Portugal
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-222059028
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
Porto Cathedral - Review
Porto Cathedral is the city’s largest place of worship. It was built around the 12th century but significant renovations of the facade have taken place since then. And although the Cathedral is identified as a fine example of Romanesque design, it embodies an eclectic mix of Gothic, Baroque and Romanesque architecture.
- One of the most magnificent parts of the Porto Cathedral is the silver altarpiece in the Chapel of the Holy Sacrament.
- Even though the design and structure of the Porto Cathedral has been altered over the centuries, the Gothic rose window of the edifice is a beautiful remnant of the original structure.
The main architectural changes were made to the building during the 18th century. These were also some of the most priceless additions to the Cathedral from an aesthetics point of view. A loggia was added to the north side. Several beautiful ‘Azulejo’ (blue and white tiles native to art and architecture in Portugal and Spain) were chosen to decorate the Gothic cloisters of the cathedral and depict the life of the Virgin Mary.
The Cathedral terrace offers great views of Porto.
Porto Cathedral Information
- Look after children while exploring the upper section of the Cathedral.
Porto Cathedral Ticket Prices
- Entry is Free.
- If you wish to access the inner sections of the Cathedral, and the floor above, you will have to pay a fee of € 3 (€ 2 for students).
How To reach Porto Cathedral by Public Transport
- By Metro: Line D – Sao Bento
Restaurants Near Porto Cathedral
- Restaurante Chines
- Ferreira Da Silva & Amorim Lda
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Porto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Porto and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Porto Cathedral
86.64% of people who visit Porto include Porto Cathedral in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
84.39% of people start their Porto Cathedral visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Porto Cathedral
82.15% of people prefer walking in order to reach Porto Cathedral
Porto Cathedral Trips
5 Views15 Days 14 Nights15 Day Trip to Lisbon, Porto, Wroclaw from TbilisiBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Lisbon, Porto, Wroclaw
3 Views15 Days 14 Nights15 Day Trip to Spain, Portugal, Luxembourg, Belgium from AustinBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Brussels, Luxemburg City, Barcelona, Lisbon, Porto