Are you looking for what to do in Portsmouth?
THINGS TO SEE & DO
- Old Portsmouth: Old Portsmouth is where the city of Portsmouthfirst laid its roots. The cobbled streets and the historical attractions here are worth a visit and throw light on the heritage of the city.
- Fort Nelson: This Victorian fort displays artillery and weapons from historical times. The top of the fort affords amazing panoramas.
- Spinnaker Tower: The Spinnaker Tower affords glorious views of the surrounding water and land. The tower is a very popular attraction because of its observation deck and glass floors.
- Southsea Castle: The Southsea Castle is a fortification that dates back to 1544. It was made by Henry VIII to protect the nation from sea invaders.
- Charles Dicken’s Birthplace: Explore the house the Charles Dickens called home. He was born in this house and the sofa that he died on is still displayed amongst his memorabilia. This site has become one of the most popular tourist attractions in Portsmouth.
- Portsmouth Cathedral: Discover the devastating effects that the war had on the church and wander through the restored structure to find a church that is truly peaceful and deeply spiritual.
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard: The top rated attraction of the city, the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is a place full of historical importance and a number of things to do. It houses important naval vessels and memorabilia.
The main attractions at the dockyard are:
- HMS Victory ship
- HMS Warrior 1860
- The Mary Rose Museum
- National Museum of Royal Navy
- The Historic Boat Workshop
Nightlife & Shopping
Portsmouth has some interesting options for shopping and nightlife. Gunwharf Quays is host to some exciting retail outlets and also houses a bowling alley and cinema hall. Port Solent also has a number of pubs and restaurants where you can sample cuisine from all over the world. Apart from this, Albert road also has some lovely pubs and clubs that are open till late.
Below we have a list of things to do in Portsmouth and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Portsmouth getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Portsmouth with confidence.