Visit Potsdam - Best of Potsdam
Potsdam carries a bit of the whole world- the Russian Quarters, Roman Baths, French Churches, the Chinese House and the Dutch Quarters are only a fraction of its growing cultures. Add to this the iconic historic sites, Royal palaces, English gardens, adorable trams and a nightlife that is second to none- and you discover there is more to the city than it ‘small town’ feel.
However you want to explore Potsdam, you truly cannot miss its vast Film history that put the city on the world map. Fun fact- the city was a major film production studio before the war (the Filmstudio Babelsberg being the oldest studio in the world!). Along with films, the music festivals, theater scene and Opera performances, all find a comfortable couch in the city and its prestigious venues.
For romantics, the Baroque architecture and beautiful buildings that date back to the 18th century, form the perfect breather to escape from the city life. The famous ‘Potsdam Palace Night’ recreates this era seamlessly and offers a dreamy experience.
Tourism in Potsdam is mainly as a day trip from Berlin but for avid travelers, a stay here has so much more to offer. In between the palace visits, gardens that are illuminated during festivals and busy markets that have a charm of its own, you are left with small hideaways in historic quarters, poignant memorials of the war, a mad mixture of museums and science and a unifying love of art, love and music.
Potsdam found its royal roots 300 years ago when Prussian King’s created their lavish homes here and even today, the town embraces its royal history and offers a tempting slice of it’s patronage to anyone who visits. For those who think Germany is defined by the world war, Potsdam is truly a breath of fresh air that promises to be a dreamy treat for all its visitors.
Potsdam Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Potsdam tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC +1 hour for Central European Time Zone; UTC +2 hours for Central European Summer Time.
- Currency: Euro
- Tipping: If your restaurant bill is above 10 Euros, it is best to leave a 10% tip. For a lower bill, you can pay a 5% tip. After the Waiter/ Waitress tells you the bill, quote how much you want to pay (including the tip) and hand the money.
- Languages: German is the official language while Sorbian and North Frisian is spoken in minority.
Electricity and Internet:
- Electricity Voltage is between 220 V to 240 V and the Plug type is C/ F.
- High speed internet/ Wi-Fi is available at most hotels.
- Police- 110
- Fire Brigade/ Ambulance- 112
- Avoid shopping at places that claim to sell original labels at ‘Krongut Bornstedt’. The prices are high and the quality is questionable.
- Hauptbahnhof located at the main train station is the official Tourist Information center in Potsdam.
- Greet people with a hand shake with eye-contact.
- In restaurants that are full, it is normal to share the table with complete strangers.
- It is common to clink glasses with a "Prost" ("cheers") or "Zum Wohl" ("good health") before drinking.
- Credit cards are often declined in Germany- even in major hotels. Inquire before-hand or simply carry cash. Know that Traveler’s Checques are accepted at the cost of a service charge.
- Most of the Public spaces in Germany (even restaurants) are ‘Non smoking areas’. Small clubs called "Raucherclubs" allow smoking but only if you are a member.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Potsdam and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Potsdam- Know before you go to Potsdam
Facts and Stats for Potsdam*
Pollution Statistics in Potsdam
Know the pollution level of Potsdam before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 38.35 (Low)
Water Pollution 35.26 (Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 46.43 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 45.59 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 28.31 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 31.88 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 27.94 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 17.38 (Very Low)
Potsdam: Crime and Safety
How safe is Potsdam for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Potsdam.
Burglary and Theft 39.05 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 39.02 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 36.61 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 30.06 (Low)
Car Stealing 32.65 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 37.34 (Low)
Attacks 39.02 (Low)
Drug offense 54.2 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 81.02 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 56.02 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 45.25 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 30.25 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 52.44 (Moderate)
Living in Potsdam - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Potsdam is 171.37 (Very High)
Safety Index 59.33 (Moderate)
Climate Index 83.35 (Very High)
Pollution Index 40.88 (Moderate)
Traffic Commute Time Index 32.68 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 76.01 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 74.11 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 9.72 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 113 (Very High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Potsdam
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Potsdam
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.11 USD
International Movie per seat 12.41 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 39.34 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 103.65 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 93.65 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Potsdam Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Potsdam
Potsdam Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Potsdam
New on TripHobo Duration: 45 Mins
Skip the lines at taxi and shuttle stands and travel with confidence by scheduling a private vehicle that can carry up to six...
USD 200.38Book Now
4 Reviews Duration: 3 Hrs
Visit the Prussian jewel Potsdam with a 30 minutes ride on the city train outside Berlin. Large areas of this beautiful city ...
USD 189.22Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 45 Mins
Skip the taxis lines and travel comfortably by scheduling a private vehicle that can carry up to six passengers. Sit back and...
USD 201.9Book Now
Duration: 4 Hrs
Potsdam, one of the most beautiful cities in Germany, is the capital city of the State of Brandenburg. On this unique open to...
USD 25.04Book Now
- Cities Near Potsdam
- Tangstedt Tourism
- Dachwig Tourism
- Barchfeld Tourism
- Beckeln Tourism
- Dingelstädt Tourism
- Burg-grambke Tourism
- Trinwillershagen Tourism
- Salz Tourism
- Großolbersdorf Tourism
- Leopoldshöhe Tourism
- Fröttstädt Tourism
- Nienstädt Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Dulles Tourism
- Punrasar Tourism
- Rachathewa Tourism
- Bilpin Tourism
- Little River Tourism
- Sullivan's Island Tourism
- Westerville Tourism
- Parker Tourism
- Tatuí Tourism
- Dachau Tourism