Potsdam carries a bit of the whole world- the Russian Quarters, Roman Baths, French Churches, the Chinese House and the Dutch Quarters are only a fraction of its growing cultures. Add to this the iconic historic sites, Royal palaces, English gardens, adorable trams and a nightlife that is second to none- and you discover there is more to the city than it ‘small town’ feel.
However you want to explore Potsdam, you truly cannot miss its vast Film history that put the city on the world map. Fun fact- the city was a major film production studio before the war (the Filmstudio Babelsberg being the oldest studio in the world!). Along with films, the music festivals, theater scene and Opera performances, all find a comfortable couch in the city and its prestigious venues.
For romantics, the Baroque architecture and beautiful buildings that date back to the 18th century, form the perfect breather to escape from the city life. The famous ‘Potsdam Palace Night’ recreates this era seamlessly and offers a dreamy experience.
Tourism in Potsdam is mainly as a day trip from Berlin but for avid travelers, a stay here has so much more to offer. In between the palace visits, gardens that are illuminated during festivals and busy markets that have a charm of its own, you are left with small hideaways in historic quarters, poignant memorials of the war, a mad mixture of museums and science and a unifying love of art, love and music.
Potsdam found its royal roots 300 years ago when Prussian King’s created their lavish homes here and even today, the town embraces its royal history and offers a tempting slice of it’s patronage to anyone who visits. For those who think Germany is defined by the world war, Potsdam is truly a breath of fresh air that promises to be a dreamy treat for all its visitors.
Essential travel information and Potsdam tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC +1 hour for Central European Time Zone; UTC +2 hours for Central European Summer Time.
- Currency: Euro
- Tipping: If your restaurant bill is above 10 Euros, it is best to leave a 10% tip. For a lower bill, you can pay a 5% tip. After the Waiter/ Waitress tells you the bill, quote how much you want to pay (including the tip) and hand the money.
- Languages: German is the official language while Sorbian and North Frisian is spoken in minority.
Electricity and Internet:
- Electricity Voltage is between 220 V to 240 V and the Plug type is C/ F.
- High speed internet/ Wi-Fi is available at most hotels.
- Police- 110
- Fire Brigade/ Ambulance- 112
- Avoid shopping at places that claim to sell original labels at ‘Krongut Bornstedt’. The prices are high and the quality is questionable.
- Hauptbahnhof located at the main train station is the official Tourist Information center in Potsdam.
- Greet people with a hand shake with eye-contact.
- In restaurants that are full, it is normal to share the table with complete strangers.
- It is common to clink glasses with a "Prost" ("cheers") or "Zum Wohl" ("good health") before drinking.
- Credit cards are often declined in Germany- even in major hotels. Inquire before-hand or simply carry cash. Know that Traveler’s Checques are accepted at the cost of a service charge.
- Most of the Public spaces in Germany (even restaurants) are ‘Non smoking areas’. Small clubs called "Raucherclubs" allow smoking but only if you are a member.
Potsdam Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Potsdam. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Potsdam trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Potsdam
Save 4%Private Half-Day Walking Tour of Potsdam and Sanssouci
2 Hrs 30 Mins6 Reviews
Save 7%Departure Airport Transfer from Potsdam Hotels to Berlin Schnefeld AirportNew on TripHobo
Save 8%City Sightseeing Potsdam Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
1 Hr17 Reviews
Save 4%Private Day Tour to Potsdam from Berlin by Minivan
6 Hrs3 Reviews
Save 4%Gardens and Palaces of Potsdam Day Bike Tour
6 Hrs 30 Mins57 Reviews
Save 1%Private Tour: Potsdam Day Trip from Berlin
7 Hrs14 Reviews