Lippitt House Museum7 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 199 Hope St, Providence, RI 02906, United States
- Timings: 01:00 pm - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4014530688
- Ticket Price: 10 USD
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Exhibition , Specialty Museums
The rich textile merchant Henry Lippitt, the 33rd governor of Rhode Island, lived in this historic house. Constructed in 1862, it has been turned into a National Historic Landmark. Built in Italianate architectural style, it is one of the best-preserved examples of victorian-era architecture in the country. The exterior of the house is mostly brownstone, but you will notice details such as the portico with corinthian columns, stained glass windows, and a beautiful roof line. Inside, everything has been preserved nearly exactly as it used to be, including the wallpaper, the plasterwork, and the original gas light fixtures. The tour of the house focuses on art, architecture and also the history of the city's golden age as viewed through the eyes of the Lippitt family and the house servants who lived here.
Lippitt House Museum Travel Tips
- Handicapped accessible.
- Group visits needs to be reserved in advance.
- Park on the street.
- Guided tours last about 45 minutes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Lippitt House Museum
- $5 Students
- Free for kids 12 and under, Active Military Personnel.
- $8 Per Person for groups of 10+
Lippitt House Museum Hours
May – October
- All Fridays: All Fridays 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m; Guided tours start 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 p.m.
- 3rd Saturdays of the month: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m; Guided tours at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, and 1:00 p.m.
Tours may be organised outside of normal opening hours.
How to Reach Lippitt House Museum
- Buses 32, 33, 34, 40, 61X stop Waterman NS Hope
- Buses 1, 49 stop Brook After Angell
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Providence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Providence and book an accommodation of your choice.
Lippitt House Museum Reviews & Ratings
Uniquely intact house museum, beautifully maintained and restored.
I really like it. Next time I will bring my family because this was a school trip.
One of the coolest places I've ever visited
They offer Victorian game night - so much fun!
Awesome! A must see..