Rhode Island School Of Design Museum Of Art, Providence
About Rhode Island School Of Design Museum Of Art, Providence
Rhode Island School Of Design Museum Of Art, Providence - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: 20 N Main St, Providence, RI 02903
Ticket Price: 12 USD
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 2.2K times in trip plans
Museum, Family And Kids, Exhibition , Specialty Museum
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Opened in 1887 this has become one of the the largest art museums in the United States. There are about a hundred thousand objects in the collection here, with a very diverse focus. The highlights of the collections include: Ancient art: Greek coins, paintings, sculpture; Roman jewelry and glass; a mummy from Egypt; a fragment from the temple complex at Karnak.
- Asian art: 700 19th-century Japanese prints; the nine feet tall 12th-century wooden Buddha; a brilliant collection of Japanese textiles; Indian saris and Chinese ceremonial robes.
- Contemporary Art: A mix of practically every kind of visual art (painting, sculpture, video) by the masters of the 20th and 21st centuries; and also a focus on the local art community.
- Costumes and textiles: In addition to the Asian textiles there are Native American, Hawaiian, and miscellaneous European textiles.
- Decorative arts: Metalwork, furniture, ceramics, wallpaper, and glassware covering a period of several centuries from various regions around the world.
- Painting and sculpture: 2500 items covering Western art from the Middle Ages to the post-war period. They include many works by the masters through the ages. Prints, drawings, and photographs: 25000 items covering 500+ years.
The museum does much more than merely exhibit art. Keep track of its event calendar to know about musical concerts and dance performances.
Rhode Island School Of Design Museum Of Art Information
- Fully wheelchair accessible.
- Parking for free at RISD faculty/staff lots on weekends.
- Groups should book 2 weeks in advance.
- Guided tours for up to 60 people must be booked 4 weeks in advance.
Rhode Island School Of Design Museum Of Art Ticket Prices
- Senior citizens (age 62+): $10
- Youth (ages 5–18): $3
- Children under 5, active military personnel and their families: free
- College students: $5 with valid college ID
- Free: All Sundays and third Thursday evening of each month.
Rhode Island School Of Design Museum Of Art Opening and Closing Hours
- Third Thursday of each month, open until 9 pm.
- Café Pearl: Tuesdays - Sundays, 7:30 am to 4 pm.
How To reach Rhode Island School Of Design Museum Of Art by Public Transport
- Buses 1, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 49, 60, 61X, 78 stop Tunnel NS S Main
- Buses 35, 60, 78 92 stop Memorial FS Westminster
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Providence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Providence and book an accommodation of your choice.
Rhode Island School Of Design Museum Of Art, Providence Reviews - Write a Review
Loved this place. A small but very well made museum with very accurate and detailed explanation. Special appraisal should be given to its textile collection. Don't miss it!
Of course, it's one of the great design and art school;s in the world, but also fun and interesting to visit.
RISD is a treasure-trove of talent and shouldn't be missed on your next visit to Providence. The museum is amazing, but the highlights of RISD are the studios which buzz with massive talent!
The school is amazingly special and i wish to be there someday to improve my skills in graphic dsign.
very nice school