Rhode Island State House64 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 82 Smith St, Providence, RI 02903, United States
- Timings: 08:30 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4012222080
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Heritage Building
This beautiful neoclassical building of white marble was constructed in 1904. It houses the Rhode Island general assembly, the offices of the governor, the lieutenant governor, Secretary of State and the general treasurer. Even before you step inside check out the marble dome of the building, which is the fourth largest self-supporting marble dome in the world. Also focus on the Statue of the Independent Man on top of the Dome. The Senate chamber is in the east wing while the representative chamber is in the west wing. The main architectural attraction inside is the rotunda; see the various artifacts such as guns and flags on the rotunda which represent the state’s military history. At the front entrance of the capitol you will find a Cannon. The best time to photograph the state house is at sunset. If you want to know the history of the building, take the brochure from the visitor center.
Rhode Island State House Travel Tips
- Guided tours last 50 minutes.
- Groups of 10 or more people will need to make a reservation.
- Self-guided tour brochures are available at the visitor center and gift shop.
- Non flash photography is permitted.
- Fully disabled accessible.
Rhode Island State House Hours
- Guided tours at 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.
How to Reach Rhode Island State House
- Buses 50, 56, 57 stop Gaspee Opp Train Station
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Providence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Providence and book an accommodation of your choice.