How to Reach Puerto Vallarta
- By Air: Gustavo Diaz Ordaz International Airport (IATA: PVR): Most major American and Mexican airlines send flights to this airport. Do not take anything other than the official taxi hired at a kiosk on the other end of a long line of unofficial taxis. Or you could take a bus to ZonaRomantica, which is where you'll most likely be staying.
- By Boat: Major and minor cruise lines come into Puerto Vallerta port. It receives over 200 cruises every year. From the pier at Los Muertos beach, many boats come in from other beaches around the coast.
- By Bus: The main bus station is a few blocks away from the landmark Corona Building, about a 30 minute bus ride away from the ZonaRomantica tourist area. First and second class buses both go to Old Town.
- By Car: Driving to Puerto Vallerta is not all that difficult, just an unnecessary way to travel.
- By Foot: Most of the city's attractions are around the Malecon and the ZonaRomantica area, all of which is easily covered on foot, especially if you're staying close by. However, if you're staying in the north (in the downtown area), take a taxi. Still, it's best to stay in the Old Town area.
- By Bus: Buses are a convenient way to get from neighborhood to neighborhood. As of this writing, individual bus stops are not explicitly located on Google Maps, so just look for places where people might be clustering for buses. Blue bus signs are marked with the word 'Parada'. Bus fares start at around 6.50 pesos. 'Centro' buses go downtown, 'Tunel' are an express ride to OlasAltas (ZonaRomantica), "Ixtapa" and "Juntas" and "Las Palmas" go to the airport.
- By Taxi: Taxis are useful for getting to attractions out of town, and will stay with you for the duration of your trip if you ask. Just tip them healthily.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Puerto Vallarta. The most preferred mode of transport in Puerto Vallarta is Car.
Average distance: 9.92 km Average time: 17.8 min
Car 50%Driving 13.67 min Overall average time for 14.33 kms 13.67 min
Bus/Trolleybus 16.67%Bus 15 min Waiting 5 min Walking 5 min Overall average time for 5 kms 25 min
Walking 16.67%Walking 8 min Other 5 min Bus 5 min Waiting 5 min Overall average time for 1.61 kms 23 min