Visit Pune - Best of Pune
Called the cultural capital of Maharashtra and the queen of Deccan, Pune is a modern traveller’s delight. Known for its offbeat crowd and vibrant atmosphere, this city is every college student’s favourite abode. It houses the Marathi literature industry and has a rich reading culture. It is also known for its glorious history, its magnificent old structures and utterly delicious food culture. If you are looking for a city in India crowded with energetic, young dreamers from all over the world, you know where to head!
Pune is the 7th largest city in the country and the second largest city in the State of Maharashtra. It is rapidly growing and is well recognized all over the world for its contribution through industrial and research institutes. After Banglore, Pune is another city where the Information Technology industry is attracting professionals from the field.
History is a subject Punekars are very fond of and it seems that it is also fond of the city. In 1640 AD, History changed its course and Shivaji gave the Marathas their own kingdom. He became the first Maratha Chattrapati (crowned king). Although the capital of Maratha kingdom shifted to Raigad, Pune still remained an important post. Pune developed as an urban settlement during this time. The city became the centre of power again when Bajirao I became the Peshwa of Maratha empire. He constructed the Shaniwarwada, which is the most famous landmark of Pune. The Peshwas ruled the country with Pune as their capital and remained thus until the third Anglo-Maratha War in 1817.
Today, Pune is home to the National Defence Academy and serves as the headquarters of the Southern Command of the Army. It is home to interesting museums, approximately 250 heritage buildings and huge libraries. Equipped with dozens of modern malls, amazing traditional and international cuisine, Pune is a liberal city that embraces everybody – and Pune sightseeing isn’t limited to the city – there’s plenty of places within a few hours ride that are must visits.
It has a bustling, colourful nightlife and you can always pounce on one of the concerts by famous as well as budding artists in one of the clubs! Whether you are a crazy party animal or silent intellectual type, you’ll definitely find your own crowd in this lovely city, or even in the places around Pune! Each one of you should visit Pune city at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Pune.
Pune Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Pune tips for your visit
Essential travel information and Pune tips for your visit.
- Time Zone: GMT + 5:30
- Currency: Indian Rupees
- Electricity and Internet: You get fast speed internet. 4G has just been launched. Wi-fi internet is available in most of the accommodations. There are internet cafes available all across the city.
- Languages: Since it is a cosmopolitan city, many languages are spoken. Marathi is predominant. People also do understand Hindi and English.
- Pune Police: Emergency/ Control Room Number: 100
- Highway Traffic Police Emergency: 020- 25819301
- Railway Enquiry: 131
- Fire Brigade: 101
- Ambulance: 102
- Jehangir Hospital: 020- 26050550
- In restaurants, it is generally accepted to keep INR 20 as tip.
- While travelling in Pune, always carry a Rickshaw fare card. Rickshaw drivers are known to fool outstation people.
Are you looking for a Pune travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Pune Tourist Information
Pune Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Pune
Private Pune Tour: Aga Kha Palace Shinde Chatri Tribal Musuem Osho Internation Meditation Colonial Market World War I and II Cemetery at Khadki New on TripHobo
Duration: 5 Hrs
Pune, a sprawling city in the Indian state of Maharashtra, was once the base of the Peshwas (prime ministers) of the Maratha ...Book Now
Private Pune Tour: Raja Dinkar Museum Shaniwar Wada Pataleshwar Caves Temple Dagdu Shet Ganpati New on TripHobo
Duration: 5 Hrs
Pune, a sprawling city in the Indian state of Maharashtra, was once the base of the peshwas (prime ministers) of the Maratha ...Book Now
Private Pune Tour: Karla and Bhaja Day Trip New on TripHobo
Duration: 8 Hrs
Mumbai-Pune highway to Karla & Bhaja Caves located near Lonavala. The caves has Buddhist culture with lusher,...Book Now
Cheese trail in Pune New on TripHobo
Duration: 3 Hrs
This 3 hour private tour takes you to a cheese tasting experience in a 40 years old farm in Pune spread over 27 acres. This e...Book Now
More about Pune
Best Places To Visit For New Year Party In Pune 2018
- Situated at a height of 560 meters above the sea level on the Deccan Plateau, the thriving metropolis of Pune is blessed with an amazing weather. Striking a balance between nature and modernity, Pune is one of the best places to spend your new year at. From late night new year parties to weekend getaway destinations to exuberant malls, you have a variety of options to choose from. To give you a clear idea of the new year experience in Pune, we have compiled a list of the best places to celebrate new year party in Pune 2018 for a fabulous start.
Hotels & Restaurants for New Year Party in Pune 2018
Forts Near Pune - Historical Heritage
- The ancient forts of Maharashtra are a living testament to the state's rich culture and history. Most of these forts are dotted along the Western Ghats and have been used as military bases and residential complexes by the Maratha Empire for years. Some of these forts were built in the 11th century and since then have been captured and re-captured by many empires. Placed strategically along the mountains, these forts have witnessed some of the most important events in the history of India. A visit to one of these forts will bring you a little closer to our bygone era.
Scroll down and check out the list of some captivating forts near Pune:
Within 0 to 50 kilometres
Staycation Ideas For Pune Couples To Relive Their Carefree D...
- PC: deccanchronicle (Akshay Kumar on a staycation in Mumbai)
Romance has something fascinating about it! It needs to be relived again and again for feelings to get reciprocated and expressed. Th
- Lonavala Tourism
- Khandala Tourism
- Mahabaleshwar Tourism
- Matheran Tourism
- Alibag Tourism
- Mumbai Tourism
- Shirdi Tourism
- Nasik Tourism
- Aurangabad Tourism
- Saputara Tourism
- Daman Tourism
- Kankavli Tourism
- Agra Tourism
- Leh Tourism
- Delhi Tourism
- Amritsar Tourism
- Chennai Tourism
- Jaipur Tourism
- Panaji Tourism
- Varanasi Tourism
- Mount Abu Tourism
Facts and Stats for Pune*
Pollution Statistics in Pune
Know the pollution level of Pune before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 67.83 (High)
Water Pollution 75.88 (High)
Noise and Light Pollution 65.14 (High)
Unattended dirt and garbage 66.78 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 51.4 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 69.64 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 62.41 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 59.68 (Moderate)
Pune: Crime and Safety
How safe is Pune for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Pune.
Burglary and Theft 37.28 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 36.62 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 33.41 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 70.39 (High)
Car Stealing 33.41 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 37.61 (Low)
Attacks 35.27 (Low)
Drug offense 32.61 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 79.66 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 56.25 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 40.87 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 24.12 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 39.19 (Low)
Living in Pune - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Pune is 129.09 (High)
Safety Index 61.04 (High)
Climate Index 74.32 (High)
Pollution Index 76.93 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 44.13 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 27.64 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 65.73 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 10.1 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 84.28 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Pune
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Pune
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.01 USD
International Movie per seat 3.67 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 37.42 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 51.15 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 34.05 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.