Bhimashankar Temple1790 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 09:30 pm]
- Address: Bhimashankar temple, Khed, District Pune, Maharashtra 410509, India
- Timings: 04:30 am - 09:30 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9403726339
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Historical Site
One of the twelve major Jyotir linga sites in India, Bhimashankar Mandir is an ancient shrine in the Sahyadri Mountains. It is also the origin place of river Bhima that flows southeast and merges with River Krishna.
The journey to this absolutely blissful temple is full of adventures, surprises and unexpected treasures.
A legend of Lord Shiva slaying the tyrant Bhima is narrated by the locals. It is said that Lord Shiva made this place his abode after it at the request of the sages who resided in this area.
Bhimashankara temple has been built in the Nagara style of architecture. Mention of this temple in literature dates back to the 13th century. The current temple is believed to be developed in the 18th century. Chhatrapati Shivaji and later Nana Phadvanis renovated this temple and added wings to it.
Detailed Buddhist style of carvings found in these mountains makes your trip even fascinating. Bhimashankar has gained tremendous importance in the last few years and is a significant wild life belt in Maharashtra.
A blend of natural beauty and spiritual calmness, Bhimashankar is a traveller’s paradise. The place is terrifyingly beautiful and a favourite of compulsive trekkers.
Bhimashankar Temple Travel Tips
- Avoid travelling at night.
- Keep the sanctity of the temple intact.
- Do not litter the area.
- Do not consume intoxicating substances in the temple premises.
- Prefer wearing traditional clothes
- There are a lot of trekkers spots nearby that you could visit.
- Bhimashankar is 125 kms from central Pune and 50 kms from the town of Khed.
- Please check the official website for aarti timings.
How to Reach Bhimashankar Temple
- Maharashtra State transport buses.
- Bhimashankar Bus Station
- Local restaurants and stalls
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pune before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pune and book an accommodation of your choice.
36.95% of people who visit Pune include Bhimashankar Temple in their plan
04 AM - 05 AM
54.37% of people start their Bhimashankar Temple visit around 04 AM - 05 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Bhimashankar Temple
93.86% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Bhimashankar Temple