Shaniwar WadaCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Shaniwar Peth, Pune, Maharashtra 411030, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Archaeological Site , Heritage Building
Every city has a historical monument that defines it. Pune’s such main landmark building is the Shaniwar Wada. The seat of Indian politics in the Peshwa period, it has become a symbol of Maratha glory. It is an expansive, charming palace with gardens and fountains.
It was originally built as the residence of Peshwas, the great generals of Maratha Empire. The foundation was laid by Bajirao I in 1730 AD. There is an interesting anecdote about how this place was chosen for construction.
The story says that Bajirao saw a rabbit chasing a dog here and decided that it was the best to build a palace that would never face defeat. What he believed almost came true, until 1818 when the Peshwas surrendered to the British.
The building was nearly destroyed in an unexplained fire in 1828. It has five gates and nine bastions that enclose this majestic building. Teak tracery on the pillars, polished marble, ornamental exquisitely carved arches and impressive fountains, Shaniwar Wada still shows traces of its golden years.
A statue of Bajirao I, the undefeated Maratha general adds beauty to the area. This architectural marvel is a must see attractions in Pune itinerary.
- Do not litter in the premises.
- Recommended monument for history buffs.
- It is a very good place for taking photographs.
- Try to catch the evening light and sound show.
- Take a history enthusiast with you if you are not one, it is will enhance your experience.
- Try the Maharashtrian cuisine in the shacks and restaurants around the fort.
- A light and music show based on Maratha history is conducted every evening.
- You can contact on: +9102026126867. Given contact is of Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation for information about this place.
- Indian Nationals: INR 5
- Foreign Nationals: INR 100
- Light and sound show: INR 25
- Timing of Light and Sound Show (everyday): 7:15 pm to 8:10 pm (Marathi Show)
- 8:15 pm to 9:10 pm (English Show)
- Shanivarwada bus stop
- Shaniwar Wada Kasba Peth Police Chowki bus stop
- Atharva pure veg
- Vasanti lunch home
- Cafe Mangii
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pune before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pune and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Pune include Shaniwar Wada in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
78.95% of people start their Shaniwar Wada visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shaniwar Wada
56.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shaniwar Wada
Beautiful place located right in the middle of busy city. Well maintained. Huge trees inside makes you feel good. Entry fee is nominal. Huge area inside. If some film is shown of proud history, I'll be more than happy. Do visit if not already done. Cheers. PS-I Visited on my birthday and it was some quality time spent.
1. there is a lot of walking around to be done, avoid visiting the Shaniwar Wada in April and May, when the temperature is soaring. 2. Wear comfortable shoes so that you can easily walk around and explore the palace. Keep in mind that the paths are rugged and hence not suitable for disabled people or kids in strollers. 3. No food or water is available inside the complex. Therefore, it is advisable to carry your water bottle. 4. Visit the place either in the morning or the evening to get the most out of your trip.
Good place to spend some quality time with family and friends and Girlfriends especially. You can easily spend 3 4 hours there without getting bored. The noise of vehicles from nearby roads and a lot of crowd will never let you get bored. Hope you like that place, but I don't see anything special to see there it's just small garden type.
Great historical place.. I always wants to spend more quality time with my friends here. Shaniwar Wada is the heart of Pune City & famous tourist spot. It could be better if maintain properly.. Add some flowers, plants etc.
Great picnic place for family. Although don't be fooled by the exteriors, inside its just a lush green park. Overall a good family outing place.