Shaniwar Wada4603 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Shaniwar Peth, Pune, 411030, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Archaeological Site , Heritage Building
Shaniwar Wada is one of the historical monuments & famous Landmarks in Pune. The seat of Indian politics in the Peshwa period, it has become a symbol of Maratha glory. It is an expansive, charming palace with gardens and fountains.
It was originally built as the residence of Peshwas, the great generals of the Maratha Empire. The foundation was laid by Bajirao I in 1730 AD. There is an interesting anecdote about how this place was chosen for construction. The story says that Bajirao saw a rabbit chasing a dog here and decided that it was the best to build a palace that would never face defeat. What he believed almost came true, until 1818 when the Peshwas surrendered to the British.
The building was nearly destroyed in an unexplained fire in 1828. It has five gates and nine bastions that enclose this majestic building. You can now see the teak tracery on the pillars, polished marble, ornamental exquisitely carved arches and impressive fountains. On your visit to Shaniwar Wada, you can see the traces of its golden years.
A statue of Bajirao I, the undefeated Maratha general adds beauty to the area. This architectural marvel is one of the must-see attractions in Pune.
You can opt for guided tours here, along with a very minimalistic entrance fee to understand the history behind the place.
Shaniwar Wada Travel Tips
- Do not litter on the premises.
- It is a very good place for taking photographs.
- Try to catch the evening light and sound show.
- Take a history enthusiast with you if you are not one, it is will enhance your experience.
- Try the Maharashtrian cuisine in the shacks and restaurants around the fort.
Entrance Ticket Details For Shaniwar Wada
- Indian Nationals: INR 5
- Foreign Nationals: INR 100
- Light and sound show: INR 25
Shaniwar Wada Hours
- Timing of Light and Sound Show (everyday): 7:15 pm to 8:10 pm (Marathi Show)
- 8:15 pm to 9:10 pm (English Show)
How to Reach Shaniwar Wada
- Shanivarwada bus stop
- Kasba Peth Police Chowki bus stop
- Atharva pure veg
- Vasanti lunch home
- Cafe Mangii
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pune before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pune and book an accommodation of your choice.
92.37% of people who visit Pune include Shaniwar Wada in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
78.95% of people start their Shaniwar Wada visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shaniwar Wada
56.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shaniwar Wada