Shaniwar Wada4603 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Shaniwar Peth, Pune, Maharashtra 411030, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Archaeological Site , Heritage Building
Every city has a historical monument that defines it. Pune’s such main landmark building is the Shaniwar Wada. The seat of Indian politics in the Peshwa period, it has become a symbol of Maratha glory. It is an expansive, charming palace with gardens and fountains.
It was originally built as the residence of Peshwas, the great generals of Maratha Empire. The foundation was laid by Bajirao I in 1730 AD. There is an interesting anecdote about how this place was chosen for construction.
The story says that Bajirao saw a rabbit chasing a dog here and decided that it was the best to build a palace that would never face defeat. What he believed almost came true, until 1818 when the Peshwas surrendered to the British.
The building was nearly destroyed in an unexplained fire in 1828. It has five gates and nine bastions that enclose this majestic building. Teak tracery on the pillars, polished marble, ornamental exquisitely carved arches and impressive fountains, Shaniwar Wada still shows traces of its golden years.
A statue of Bajirao I, the undefeated Maratha general adds beauty to the area. This architectural marvel is a must see attractions in Pune itinerary.
Shaniwar Wada Travel Tips
- Do not litter in the premises.
- Recommended monument for history buffs.
- It is a very good place for taking photographs.
- Try to catch the evening light and sound show.
- Take a history enthusiast with you if you are not one, it is will enhance your experience.
- Try the Maharashtrian cuisine in the shacks and restaurants around the fort.
- A light and music show based on Maratha history is conducted every evening.
- You can contact on: +9102026126867. Given contact is of Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation for information about this place.
Entrance Ticket Details For Shaniwar Wada
- Indian Nationals: INR 5
- Foreign Nationals: INR 100
- Light and sound show: INR 25
Shaniwar Wada Hours
- Timing of Light and Sound Show (everyday): 7:15 pm to 8:10 pm (Marathi Show)
- 8:15 pm to 9:10 pm (English Show)
How to Reach Shaniwar Wada
- Shanivarwada bus stop
- Shaniwar Wada Kasba Peth Police Chowki bus stop
- Atharva pure veg
- Vasanti lunch home
- Cafe Mangii
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pune before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pune and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Pune include Shaniwar Wada in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
78.95% of people start their Shaniwar Wada visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shaniwar Wada
56.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shaniwar Wada
Shaniwar Wada Reviews & Ratings
Good historical place but must be maintained properly as they are charging 25 per head they can afford it. Must visit in rainy season. Best greenery. Beautiful structure huge monuments.
It's a good place to visit. Everyone has to take a visit here. A small fort, but it was nice to see. It was greenish all over. Check the opening and closing time of the place in Google before visiting it Have a peaceful time under the greenish trees. Outside the fort there are food and juice shops, so no problem with the lunch.
It's historical, you can't even imagine as how this place is constructed. So big and historic i was able to connect my self with the movie and place I visited. Photography point too. Very good place
Nice place to visit in Pune, very beautiful and peaceful place although lots of people come to visit this place, we went there on a weekend and enjoyed walking all over the place, it can be a little crowded sometimes. Parking is a little congested here but it's free and gets filled up quickly, better to come at around 1100 hrs on a 2 wheeler.
Read the note given below (at last)👇👇 Good place and have lot of place for parking and many people came from another country also to see this place and have lot of parking mainly situated in middle of pune city. Peaceful place in the middle of the city. Nice place to hangout with friends. There's nothing to see much but it gives you historic feeling. Lot of parking space.Good place to visit and have many more. There is a big garden🏡 and best also. You can visit in given time. Best place to visit and have lot of fun😋 there. So ❤❤enjoy Please keep note 👇👇 Light and sound shows does not Starts on Tuesday