The Cleghorn Springs Hatchery is the institution that is responsible for providing trout and salmon for stocking all through the area of South Dakota. As these two species are not native to the area, thus the rate at which they reproduce and grow is quite stunted. Because of this limited availability, the need for stocking of these particular fish arises and thus the use of this hatchery. Guests are welcome to roam the grounds, feed the fish and get educated in the science of pisciculture.
Fish Hatchery Travel Tips
- During winter, fall and spring season visitors can walk around the grounds and feed fish in outside raceways.
- Free fish feed is available for public to feed fishes.
Fish Hatchery Hours
- Daily tours at 10:30 am and 1:30 pm
Fall | Winter | Spring
- Visitors may walk around the grounds and feed fish in the outside raceways.
- Group tours can be organized two weeks in advance by contacting Hatchery.
How to Reach Fish Hatchery
- By renting or hiring a car/taxi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Rapid City before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rapid City and book an accommodation of your choice.
23.88% of people who visit Rapid City include Fish Hatchery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
86.36% of people start their Fish Hatchery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Fish Hatchery
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fish Hatchery
Fish Hatchery Reviews & Ratings
No longer a tourist site. They've closed the exhibit building. There's almost nothing to see. You can book a group tour two weeks in advance. It's disappointing. It used to be a fun spot to take the kids.
What to say? If you have time left you could pay a visit but there is actually little to see only to smell.
I fished over the fence
What a peaceful place.
Meh, Spearfish hatchery is much better for the kids.