Basilica Di S. Giovanni Evangelista136 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazzale Anita Garibaldi, 48121 Ravenna, Italy
- Timings: 07:30 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0544212640
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Architecture , Cathedral
One of the oldest monuments in Ravenna, the Basilica di San Giovanni is a gorgeous building that holds a slice of history within it. San Giovanni Evangelista was commissioned by the empress Galla Placidia in fulfillment of a vow she made during a storm in 424 while sailing from Constantinople to Ravenna. Marble columns and arched porches give this Basilica a surreal beauty that is now five feet above its original level because of all the restorations that were done to prevent it from drowning in the rising waters. Although some precious mosaics were lost in renovation, the basilica is still a sight to behold.
Basilica Di S. Giovanni Evangelista Hours
- A daily mass is held at 6 pm.
How to Reach Basilica Di S. Giovanni Evangelista
- Nearest Bus Stop: Ravenna Fs Box 3
- Via Carducci Giardini Speyer
- Pizzeria Arcobaleno Di Fongoli & C. Sas
- Camst - La Ristorazione Italiana
- Ristorante Il Cerchio dei Golosi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ravenna before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ravenna and book an accommodation of your choice.
28.16% of people who visit Ravenna include Basilica Di S. Giovanni Evangelista in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
86.11% of people start their Basilica Di S. Giovanni Evangelista visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Basilica Di S. Giovanni Evangelista
51.43% of people prefer walking in order to reach Basilica Di S. Giovanni Evangelista