Instituto Ricardo BrennandCurrently Closed
- Address: Alameda Antonio Brennand, s/n - Sao Joao - Varzea, Recife - PE, 50791-904, Brazil
- Timings: 01:00 pm - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +55-8121210352
- Ticket Price: 20 BRL
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museum, Family And Kids, Specialty Museum
Instituto Ricardo Brennand - Review
Ricardo Brennand, was a British descended Brazilian collector and businessman, who began to amass a collection of arms and armoury from all over the world in 1940. Much later, he grew interested in art and artefacts relating to Dutch colonial Brazil. In 2002, his collection was made into a fascinating museum in a Tudor-style castle complex of 77,000 square meters, surrounded by a 18,000 hectares garden.
At the museum, you’ll find:
- Armoury: With 3000 objects covering weapons (daggers, stilettos, swords, maces, flails, halberds, crossbows, knives, pocketknives), full plate armours, shields, helmets, gauntlets and chain mails; this is one of the largest collections of its kind in the world.
- Decorative arts, furniture and tapestries: objects from Europe, Asia and Africa, from as far back as the 17th century, including stained glass windows, furniture, candelabra, Chinese ceramics and musical instruments
- Dutch Brazil: a collection with an intense focus on the 17th century Dutch occupation of Brazilian Northeast, including one of the largest collections of paintings by Frans Post, collections of emergency coins, manuscripts, silverware and other artefacts.
- Visual arts: paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings dating back to the 15th century, mostly Brazil related, but a decent European collection too.
Instituto Ricardo Brennand Ticket Prices
- R$ 10.00 for disabled, seniors, students, and teachers.
- Free for under 7.
- Free on the last Tuesday of the month.
How To reach Instituto Ricardo Brennand by Public Transport
- Buses 302, 432 stop Rua Isaac Buril, 1443
- Buses 202, 330, 424 stop Rua Luiz Freire, 900
- Buses 202, 302, 330, 424, 431, 432, 440, 2902 stop Rua Helio Ramos, 56
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Recife before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Recife and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Instituto Ricardo Brennand
95% of people who visit Recife include Instituto Ricardo Brennand in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
93.03% of people start their Instituto Ricardo Brennand visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Instituto Ricardo Brennand
93.8% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Instituto Ricardo Brennand
Instituto Ricardo Brennand Map
Instituto Ricardo Brennand Trips
Instituto Ricardo Brennand, Recife Reviews
i was visiting recife for several weeks. My friends told me that we must visit this museum. The environment is very well maintained and everything looks like a picture book, beautiful. There are also many interesting things to see. we liked it a lot. Greetings from Switzerland
If you want to sample European art in a sophisticated atmosphere, this is the place to be in Recife. A must are the collections related to Recife´s history as capital of the Dutch West Indies in the mid-17th century. Largest collection of Frans Post paintings in the world. He was one of the many artists and scientists brought over to the New World by Johan Maurits van Nassau, the German-born governor of New Holland, as Pernambuco was called at the time. Other noteworthy highlights include Rodin´s "Thinker", an exact replica of Michelangelo´s David in Carrara marble, the swords and knives collection and the newly opened cathedral, as well as the museum itself, set in a medieval-looking modern building. Restaurant on the grounds. Listed as one of the top museums in Latin America and the world.
Once you are in Recife do not hexitate to visit this museum. And the small biblioteck a must. Very friendly and interesting atmosphere.
It's a nice place, with lots of things to visit and see. But, I think they should do a better job in cleaning. Some places are a little bit dirty there.
It’s very interesting place and it is very sexually as of human’s organs. Use your imagination when you look at these arts. 😏