Instituto Ricardo Brennand, Recife
About Instituto Ricardo Brennand, Recife
Instituto Ricardo Brennand, Recife - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Alameda Antonio Brennand, s/n - Sao Joao - Varzea, Recife - PE, 50791-904, Brazil
Ticket Price: 20 BRL
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 01:00 pm - 05:00 pm Details
Added 1.6K times in trip plans
Museum, Family And Kids, Specialty Museum
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Ricardo Brennand, was a British descended Brazilian collector and businessman, who began to amass a collection of arms and armoury from all over the world in 1940. Much later, he grew interested in art and artefacts relating to Dutch colonial Brazil. In 2002, his collection was made into a fascinating museum in a Tudor-style castle complex of 77,000 square meters, surrounded by a 18,000 hectares garden.
At the museum, you’ll find:
- Armoury: With 3000 objects covering weapons (daggers, stilettos, swords, maces, flails, halberds, crossbows, knives, pocketknives), full plate armours, shields, helmets, gauntlets and chain mails; this is one of the largest collections of its kind in the world.
- Decorative arts, furniture and tapestries: objects from Europe, Asia and Africa, from as far back as the 17th century, including stained glass windows, furniture, candelabra, Chinese ceramics and musical instruments
- Dutch Brazil: a collection with an intense focus on the 17th century Dutch occupation of Brazilian Northeast, including one of the largest collections of paintings by Frans Post, collections of emergency coins, manuscripts, silverware and other artefacts.
- Visual arts: paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings dating back to the 15th century, mostly Brazil related, but a decent European collection too.
Instituto Ricardo Brennand Ticket Prices
- R$ 10.00 for disabled, seniors, students, and teachers.
- Free for under 7.
- Free on the last Tuesday of the month.
How To reach Instituto Ricardo Brennand by Public Transport
- Buses 302, 432 stop Rua Isaac Buril, 1443
- Buses 202, 330, 424 stop Rua Luiz Freire, 900
- Buses 202, 302, 330, 424, 431, 432, 440, 2902 stop Rua Helio Ramos, 56
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Recife before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Recife and book an accommodation of your choice.
Instituto Ricardo Brennand, Recife Reviews - Write a Review
Excellent museum. Audio guide in English, Spanish or Portuguese. Three castles, one featuring weapons from many parts of the world and many epochs, incredible paintings, another featuring Franz Post's pieces and books/paintings from the Dutch government in Pernambuco, and another featuring paintings from many artists. Closes at 4pm, good to spend an afternoon.
I was amazed by Brennand's collection. This place is a pearl in Recife due to its cultural richness. Be prepared to walk at least two hours to have an immersing experience.
Nice area and lots of pieces exhibited. Nevertheless the place seemed rather a conjunction of many collections than a well-structured museum. My personal highlight were the maps and sketches of old Recife.
Great place to spend the afternoon, you can go on the free day and it's not so crowded.
If you enjoy taking time to appreciate art in all its shapes you'll certainly like this museum. Ricardo Brennand Istitute is located in a inspiring and breathtaking place where you'll be able to enjoy nature and arts. Spread along the castles you'll see paintings, sculptures, old furniture, armor and etc. Inside it there is a small cafeteria, a restaurant and a small souvenirs shop so you can take gifts for those you love or even to remind you the great time you had there
- Nearby Attractions
- Palacio Da Justica
- Parque Da Jaqueira
- Fundacao Gilberto Freyre
- Fundacao Joaquim Nabuco
- Torre Malakoff
- Arquivo Judaico De Pernambuco
- Casa Dos Bonecos Gigantes
- Centro Cultural Correios
- Museu De Arte Moderna Aloisio Magalhaes
- Maria Farinha Beach
- Recife Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Recife
- What to See in 48 Hours in Recife
- What to See in 72 Hours in Recife
- How to Spend 5 Days in Recife
- How to Spend 6 Days in Recife
- How to Spend 7 Days in Recife