Regensburg claims to be one of the oldest cities of Germany with its medieval history well preserved and cherished. Strewn with historical sites such as the churches, patrician mansions, towers, and Roman walls, the city exhibits its 2000 years old heritage. This is also one of those few cities which have survived the destruction from Allied bombs in World War II. Unlike most of other European cities where the historical monuments are actually the replicas of their pre- war state, Regensburg’s monuments reflect historicity in its unscathed form. Meander through its medieval streets in the Old Town and you shall encounter countless Roman and Gothic edifices of past peeping through the modern cafes and restaurants. Stand at its Stone Bridge and admire the beauty of the city against the backdrop of Danube River.
Situated on the most northerly point of the famous Danube River, the city has served as an important trade and cultural centre in the past. With the largest harbour in Bavaria region, the city today boasts of being a popular river cruise destination from where you can begin your excursions on ships that sail around the local waterways and even beyond.
Today, the city claims to own a famous university which dominates its cultural and entertainment galore.
Essential travel information and Regensburg tips for your visit
- You will have to take handy money with you as many restaurants don’t take credit cards because of the cash rules in Germany.
- Jaywalking is prohibited in Germany.
- Public drunkenness is frowned upon in Germany.
- Shake hands when you’re introduced to someone-it’s impolite not to.
- Feel free to have discussions in social settings- Germans like talking politics and philosophy. They don’t relish idle chit-chat or small talk.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Regensburg
Save 5%Regensburg - Classic guided tourNew on TripHobo
Save 5%Illuminati Escape Game in Regensburg with an ActorNew on TripHobo
1 Hr 30 Mins
Save 7%Private Transfer from Regensburg to PragueNew on TripHobo