Regensburg CathedralCurrently Open
- Address: Domplatz 1, 93047 Regensburg, Germany.
- Timings: 06:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-9415971660
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Statue, Family And Kids
This 13th-century Cathedral of St. Peter stands high with its two 105-meter-high spires and magnificent west front dating from 1395-1440. It is the finest Gothic church in Bavaria which displays superb 14th-century stained glass and the figures of the Annunciation from 1280 on the two western piers of the crossing. Inside the cathedral, you will come across:
- The west portal: Built in 1410, this section is decorated with arches, canopies, and sculptures of biblical scenes, saints, kings and creatures. The main highlights are the sculptures of the Devil (left) and the "Devil's Grandmother" (right). One of the tympanums depicts the Resurrection of Christ, with an angel taking Christ by the hand and helping him out of what looks like a sandcastle.
- The South Side: It includes the infamous example of the Judensau ("Jews' sow") that faces the former Jewish Quarter. This image of Jews having pig is emblematic of Germans’ bias against them.
- The Altar of St. Ursula (left/north aisle), the choir and High Altar (nave), and the Sailer Chapel with the Nativity Altar (right/south aisle).
- “Smiling Angel”: this sculpture was built in 1280 by Master of St. Erminold. The angel looks very cheerful and is quite popular with visitors.
- Nearly 100 images of St. Peter which run throughout the exterior and interior.
- The central attraction is its medieval stained glass windows that have survived since 1320 and 1370, but there are even some survivors from 1220-30.
- The cathedral is famous for its boys' choir, the Domspatzen.
How to Reach Regensburg Cathedral
- Bus 1, 6 and 11.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Regensburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Regensburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
94.05% of people who visit Regensburg include Regensburg Cathedral in their plan
06 AM - 07 AM
24.53% of people start their Regensburg Cathedral visit around 06 AM - 07 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Regensburg Cathedral
74.85% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Regensburg Cathedral