The Walhalla, Regensburg
About The Walhalla, Regensburg
The Walhalla, Regensburg - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Walhallastrabe 48, 93093 Donaustauf, Germany.
Ticket Price: 4 EUR
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:45 pm Details
Added 2.3K times in trip plans
Temple, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This Teutonic Hall of Fame was built in honour of German-speaking artists, writers, philosophers, scientists, and other historic figures. Built over a period of 12 years (from 1830 to 1842), the idea of building this temple was conceived by King Ludwig I of Bavaria. This Greek revival monument was based on the Parthenon in Athens and was constructed under the guidance of architect Leo von Kienze. Sitting on a gigantic foundation of 358 marble steps, this white stone temple overlooks River Danube. According to the Teutonic mythology, the Hall of Fame (Walhalla) was used to bury the bravest killed warriors. As you enter inside this hall, you shall come across:
- 128 marble busts and 65 plaques, reminiscent of prominent figures of the German-Teutonic language family.
- The most prominent amongst these busts are those of King Ludwig I. (the founder of Walhalla), Barbarossa, Goethe, Schiller, Haydn, Luther, Gutenberg, Gauss and empress Katarina the Great.
- There is a latest bust of Heinrich Heine which was added in 2010.
- As you climb the plateau you will come across a wonderful view over the Danube to Regensburg and to the Bavarian Forest.
The Walhalla Information
- You have to climb 350 steps in order to reach the hall.
- Combine your visit to this site with a beautiful cruise on the river Danube. Daily from May to October boats shuttle between Walhalla and Regensburg (departure Stone Bridge in Regensburg).
The Walhalla Ticket Prices
- Free for children under 14 years of age.
- € 3.00 for children above 14 years, seniors (over 65) and disabled visitors.
How To reach The Walhalla by Public Transport
- The best way to reach Walhalla is by boat from Steinerne Brucke(stone Bridge) in Regensburg.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Regensburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Regensburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
The Walhalla, Regensburg Reviews - Write a Review
A monument of charm. It rises above a hill from which you enjoy a wonderful view of the Danube valley. There are more roads to arrive: one is a suggestive trail in the wood that comes to the back of the building; Another is the large stone step that flows from the river to the temple. Whoever goes from here must visit it!
Like ancient Roman gods came and carved this monument into the hill where it stands. Huge and wonderful with amazing views it is a sight to behold.
Absolutely great site displaying busts of many important historical figures with great influence on culture and history of Germany and german-speaking areas of Europe. Stunning architecture and great vistas!
Pretty cool place. Low flying NATO jets adding the spice. :-P
2.5€ for a parking lot, 200m of stairs to go up.. but it really worth it! If you are a student, an entrance is 3€ instead of 4.
- Nearby Attractions
- Donau Arena
- Internetx Gmbh
- Westbad Und Sauna-paradies
- Hansa Apart-hotel Regensburg
- Katholische Hochschulgemeinde Regensburg (khg)
- Regensburg Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Regensburg
- What to See in 48 Hours in Regensburg
- What to See in 72 Hours in Regensburg
- How to Spend 5 Days in Regensburg
- How to Spend 6 Days in Regensburg
- How to Spend 7 Days in Regensburg