The WalhallaCurrently Open [Closes at 05:45 pm]
- Address: Walhallastrabe 48, 93093 Donaustauf, Germany., Regensburg
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:45 pm Details
- Phone: +49-9403961680
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Temple, Family And Kids
This Teutonic Hall of Fame was built in honour of German-speaking artists, writers, philosophers, scientists, and other historic figures. Built over a period of 12 years (from 1830 to 1842), the idea of building this temple was conceived by King Ludwig I of Bavaria. This Greek revival monument was based on the Parthenon in Athens and was constructed under the guidance of architect Leo von Kienze. Sitting on a gigantic foundation of 358 marble steps, this white stone temple overlooks River Danube. According to the Teutonic mythology, the Hall of Fame (Walhalla) was used to bury the bravest killed warriors. As you enter inside this hall, you shall come across:
- 128 marble busts and 65 plaques, reminiscent of prominent figures of the German-Teutonic language family.
- The most prominent amongst these busts are those of King Ludwig I. (the founder of Walhalla), Barbarossa, Goethe, Schiller, Haydn, Luther, Gutenberg, Gauss and empress Katarina the Great.
- There is a latest bust of Heinrich Heine which was added in 2010.
- As you climb the plateau you will come across a wonderful view over the Danube to Regensburg and to the Bavarian Forest.
- You have to climb 350 steps in order to reach the hall.
- Combine your visit to this site with a beautiful cruise on the river Danube. Daily from May to October boats shuttle between Walhalla and Regensburg (departure Stone Bridge in Regensburg).
- Free for children under 14 years of age.
- € 3.00 for children above 14 years, seniors (over 65) and disabled visitors.
- The best way to reach Walhalla is by boat from Steinerne Brucke(stone Bridge) in Regensburg.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Regensburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Regensburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
68.74% of people who visit Regensburg include The Walhalla in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
77.68% of people start their The Walhalla visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see The Walhalla
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Walhalla
Awesome place to go in summers with bier and also laze around. Awesome view facing the Donau. Best experienced by walk from Regensburg town, along he river. Sometimes, by river cruise.
Really nice concept to have famous historical German busts. Nice also to view the building.
Amazing place. we enjoyed a lot and I suggest every one to visit this charming place. it has a very nice view from Bayer forest also.
This place was awsome..we went bycicle from Bach to Walhalla.It was worthed 😊😊😊
Impressive. Greece in Deutschland. Lovely view.