The WalhallaCurrently Closed
- Address: Walhallastrabe 48, 93093 Donaustauf, Germany., Regensburg
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:45 pm Details
- Phone: +49-9403961680
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Temple, Family And Kids
The Walhalla - Review
This Teutonic Hall of Fame was built in honour of German-speaking artists, writers, philosophers, scientists, and other historic figures. Built over a period of 12 years (from 1830 to 1842), the idea of building this temple was conceived by King Ludwig I of Bavaria. This Greek revival monument was based on the Parthenon in Athens and was constructed under the guidance of architect Leo von Kienze. Sitting on a gigantic foundation of 358 marble steps, this white stone temple overlooks River Danube. According to the Teutonic mythology, the Hall of Fame (Walhalla) was used to bury the bravest killed warriors. As you enter inside this hall, you shall come across:
- 128 marble busts and 65 plaques, reminiscent of prominent figures of the German-Teutonic language family.
- The most prominent amongst these busts are those of King Ludwig I. (the founder of Walhalla), Barbarossa, Goethe, Schiller, Haydn, Luther, Gutenberg, Gauss and empress Katarina the Great.
- There is a latest bust of Heinrich Heine which was added in 2010.
- As you climb the plateau you will come across a wonderful view over the Danube to Regensburg and to the Bavarian Forest.
The Walhalla Information
- You have to climb 350 steps in order to reach the hall.
- Combine your visit to this site with a beautiful cruise on the river Danube. Daily from May to October boats shuttle between Walhalla and Regensburg (departure Stone Bridge in Regensburg).
The Walhalla Ticket Prices
- Free for children under 14 years of age.
- € 3.00 for children above 14 years, seniors (over 65) and disabled visitors.
How To reach The Walhalla by Public Transport
- The best way to reach Walhalla is by boat from Steinerne Brucke(stone Bridge) in Regensburg.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Regensburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Regensburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting The Walhalla
68.74% of people who visit Regensburg include The Walhalla in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
77.68% of people start their The Walhalla visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see The Walhalla
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Walhalla
The Walhalla Trips
The Walhalla, Regensburg Reviews
Amazing place. we enjoyed a lot and I suggest every one to visit this charming place. it has a very nice view from Bayer forest also.
Impressive historical place! You should take the boat from Regensburg to get there. It is a nice little trip across the Donau.
The "Walhalla" close to Kelheim (Germany) is in the style of a Geek temple, inside there are stone portraits of artists, scientists, politicians a.s.o. If you visit Germany and travel around the Regensburg / Kelheim area you need to see this. Also the view from the Walhalla down to the river Danube and the land is fantastic.
What an amazing place to visit. Incredible view of the river flowing peacefully beneath. Parking place is o the bottom of the hill and then there is like 5min walk uphill through a calming forest. Definitely recommend to check this place out.
Must see when in Regensburg.. easy parking, even when it ist closed.