Domkirkjan3462 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Kirkjustræti, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland, Reykjavik
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +354-5209700
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Domkirkjan holds a significant importance in shaping Icelandic history. Interestingly the church has always been on the site since 1200 AD only to have taken its present form in 1796. This the very place where Iceland’s independence was officially endorsed and the members of cabinet still gather for several sessions.
The first view at the church will fill you with serenity, a fairly basic building amongst the perfectly manicured green lawn. On entering the church one will experience the same sense of calmness around. The church also houses a baptismal font donated by famous sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen.
Domkirkjan Travel Tips
- Do not confuse the cathedral with Hallgrimskirkja, a lot of people tend to do so.
- Be decently dressed.
- Maintain tranquility within the church.
Entrance Ticket Details For Domkirkjan
- Entry is free.
How to Reach Domkirkjan
- Bus stop at 200 meters.
- Nearby bus station : Raohusio; Laekjartorg
- The Grill Market
- Borg Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Reykjavik before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Reykjavik and book an accommodation of your choice.
61.38% of people who visit Reykjavik include Domkirkjan in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
58.06% of people start their Domkirkjan visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Domkirkjan
50% of people prefer walking in order to reach Domkirkjan