Reykjadalur Hot Springs2212 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Reykjadalur Hot Spring Trailhead, Reykjadalur, Iceland, Reykjavik Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Hiking Trail, Hot Spring, Family And Kids
‘Reykjadalur’ means ‘smoking valley’. 45 kilometres out of Reykjavik, the drive to the hot springs alone makes the trip worth it, taking you past some of Iceland’s beautiful landscape. You’ll find the trailhead from where you must hike to the hot springs. The mountain here, Mt. Hengill, is an extinct volcano. From the parking lot at the trailhead you’ll have to hike for about 3 kilometres, past hot springs, mud pools, waterfalls, canyons and gorges. Expect to see some horse manure on the trail. When you reach a wide swathe of green with lots of steaming hot spots, you’re in the valley proper. It’s a place of green grass, aquamarine blue pools, and sulphurous smells. The bathing spots are all on the river, and the further up you go the hotter the water will get. Try and find a shallow lagoon like area for the best experience. And remember to bring your own picnic.
You have the option of heading further into the valley to reach Klambragil canyon.
Reykjadalur Hot Springs Travel Tips
- Stay on the path as there is a real danger of falling into a mud pool.
How to Reach Reykjadalur Hot Springs
- Drive to the trailhead then walk up the valley.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Reykjavik before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Reykjavik and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Reykjadalur Hot Springs Address: Reykjadalur Hot Spring Trailhead, Reykjadalur, Iceland, Reykjavik
- Reykjadalur Hot Springs Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Reykjadalur Hot Springs(preferred time): 09:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Time required to visit Reykjadalur Hot Springs: 04:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
36.81% of people who visit Reykjavik include Reykjadalur Hot Springs in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
49.01% of people start their Reykjadalur Hot Springs visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Reykjadalur Hot Springs
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Reykjadalur Hot Springs
People normally club together Lagafellslaug In Mosfellsbaer and Gullfoss Waterfall while planning their visit to Reykjadalur Hot Springs.
People also prefer to start their day with Reykjadalur Hot Springs.