Videy IslandCurrently Open
- Address: Videy, Iceland, Reykjavik
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Island, Waterfront, Family And Kids
Videy Island - Review
Is gorgeous island of Kollafjoraur Bay is a perfect retreat; it is a heaven for nature lovers and someone in search for some peace and quiet. The island is a home of 156 species of flora with about 1/3rd of Iceland’s entire vegetation. One can notice spectacular rock formations along the shore of this island which was a volcano some millions of years ago! A paradise for bird watching Viaey is a home of birds like: Fulmar (Fulmarus glacialis), greylag goose (Anser anser), snipe (Gallinago gallinago), purple sandpiper (Calidris maritima) and oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus).
Must see attractions at Viaey:
- Imagine Peace Tower: Designed by Yoko Ono, the imagine peace tower was built to impart the importance of peace. “I hope the Imagine Peace Tower will give light to the strong wishes of World Peace from all corners of the planet and give encouragement, inspiration and a sense of solidarity in a world now filled with fear and confusion. Let us come together to realize a peaceful world” Yoko Ono. What is even more interesting is that Yoko Ono has collected wishes from people all over the world and buried it around the peace tower in capsules; you can send your wish to buried amongst them too!
- Statue of the Virgin Mary: A statue was erected at Kvennagonguhólar to mark the millennium, in the year 2000. The statue of mary with Baby Christ in her hand peacefully standing amongst the picturesque background is a beauty in itself.
Other places worth a visit include:
- Afangar (Milestones)
- Viaey Church
- Gallery Restaurant
- Viaeyjarnaust cabin and The Water Reservoir
The island is an optimal spot for everyone be it a family picnic, a party, walk through the nature or yoga and meditation retreat. There is something for everybody!
Videy Island Information
- Great getaway for nature lovers.
- Ferries are available regularly.
- Carry warm clothes.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Reykjavik before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Reykjavik and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Videy Island
74.95% of people who visit Reykjavik include Videy Island in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
41.67% of people start their Videy Island visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Videy Island
93.15% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Videy Island
Videy Island Trips
Videy Island, Reykjavik Reviews
Awesome spot to visit if you're in Reykjavik! Get the city card and it's free! I highly recommend adding this to your list of places to see in the city. Beautiful scenery, nice ferry ride, and some interesting landmarks.
Great little island offering a fantastic view of Reykjavik and surrounding mountains.
Nice for easy hikes
A great place to visit and take an easy hike. The ferry is a nice short trip. Beautiful views of Reykjavik. Be sure to check out the settlement remains on the south end of the island. There is an open community building there with photos and some interpretive information. If the weather turns cold, it's a nice place to move your picnic lunch.