Vikin Maritime Museum, Reykjavik
About Vikin Maritime Museum, Reykjavik
Vikin Maritime Museum, Reykjavik - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Grandagarður 8, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
Ticket Price: 1500 ISK
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 8.2K times in trip plans
Museum, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
There is no separating Iceland’s identity from its maritime heritage. Caught between two oceans, the island’s people depended for a long time on the sea to provide them with food and raw materials. This museum in Reykjavik’s harbour is thus dedicated mainly to the fishing heritage of these peoples. It focuses on how fish farming has evolved over the centuries, particularly in the 20th century. Other main exhibits focus on the history of sailing. Another major exhibit though focuses on the rescue vehicle Odinn, which houses an exhibit on the cod wars between the 1950s and 1970s. Check the museum website for details on upcoming events and also for their Christmas Market.
Vikin Maritime Museum Information
- Check out the museum shop and the museum cafe.
Vikin Maritime Museum Ticket Prices
- Museum+Odinn: 2200 ISK
- Free for kids, senior citizens and the disabled.
- Guided tours of Odinn: 1200 ISK
- Groups 10+: 820 ISK for museum or Odinn, 1600 ISK combined
Vikin Maritime Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- Guided tours of Coast Guard Vessel Odinn: 1pm, 2pm and 3pm daily.
How To reach Vikin Maritime Museum by Public Transport
- Grandagardur, Myrargata, Grunnslod bus stations
- By Car or take a Taxi
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Reykjavik before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Reykjavik and book an accommodation of your choice.
Vikin Maritime Museum, Reykjavik Reviews - Write a Review
Interesting museum to learn about the history of Iceland's fishery industry. We spend nearly 2 hours there! Good place for kids as well.
Visit the museum and get a tour. The exhibit on the cod wars is great. If you can get a tour of the coast guard vessel, that's also pretty cool.
It was interesting. If you're into maritime type stuff. Clean toilets when I went. Hot as hell inside.
Great small museum with interesting history of Icelandic fishing as well as an illuminating exhibit about the cod's wars.
I found this museum very interesting and informative. Mostly because I too work in the maritime industry. Lots of very unique and historic items in their possession and just amazing to see how far we've come. Just bummed at how short the exhibit was for the price of entry.
- Nearby Attractions
- Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik
- Dive.is - Padi 5 Star Dive Center Iceland
- Iceland Camping Equipment Rental
- Blue Lagoon - Chase
- Reykjavik Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Reykjavik
- What to See in 48 Hours in Reykjavik
- What to See in 72 Hours in Reykjavik
- How to Spend 5 Days in Reykjavik
- How to Spend 6 Days in Reykjavik
- How to Spend 7 Days in Reykjavik