No matter which time of year you visit Richmond, there is always something going on! Here are a few of their world famous and most popular annual festivals and events:
- Butterflies Live! A festival that celebrates the beauty of tropical butterflies! Get up close and personal with thousands of butterflies in the conservatory, an indoor exhibit that will stun you. The vibrant colors and beauty of butterflies in flight is truly something to celebrate. Happens in October at the North Wing of the Richmond Conservatory.
- Arts in the Park: A celebration of artists from the United States. The event happens in Byrd’s Park, and brings together 400+ artists who display their paintings, fine art, jeweler, weaving and everything in between in the outdoor setting of the beautiful park. Usually occurs in May.
- Richmond Dance Festival: Starting in May, this festival lasts all month long with performances, workshops, film screenings and master classes by some of the most influential and famed dancers from Richmond.
- Asian-American Festival: This festival aims at celebrating the Asian-American relationship through food, culture, art, music, dance and performances. Besides the authentic mouth-watering cuisine and vibrant colorful clothes, the festival also features concerts, parades and hands-on games and activities. The festival lays special emphasis on Asian games and sports.
- Jimmy Dean Music Festival: The first annual Jimmy Dean festival is scheduled to debut in May this year and will celebrate the life and work of Jimmy Dean. Hosted by Bill Andersen, the festival will feature performances by several famous artists as well as the late Mr. Dean’s widow, Donna Meade.
- Virginia Hops & Barley Fest: Celebrate beer! This festival is a tribute to the breweries around Virginia and features dozens of kinds of beer for you to sample and get in a tizzy over. Happens in May; a hot month for cold beer.