How to Reach Richmond - The Easiest Way to Reach Richmond
- By Air: The Richmond International Airport is the busiest airport in Virginia, and serves most of the tourists who travel to the country. It is approximately 7 miles (11 kilometers) from downtown Richmond.
- By Road: Richmond is just off the I-95 and is frequented by people from Washington D.C, Maryland etc as a weekend getaway. It is approximately a 2 hour drive from Washington and Dulles International Airport.
- By Train: Amtrak has recently added Richmond to its lines of service. Richmond can be easily reached from Union Station.
- By Bus: Richmond is a major Hub for the Grey Hound Lines buses with its terminal connecting Richmond to New York, Washington, Raleigh etc.
- By Bus: To get the most out of your trip, there are various air conditioned tour buses that take you to all the most attractive tourist destinations. If you would like to plan your tour yourself the GRTC has several bus routes, many of which have stops at or next to the tourist attractions. However, planning your schedule and knowing which bus goes where is a little more hassle than most travelers would like to experience.
- By Car: Most major rent-a-car companies have opened up shop in the Richmond International Airport. Not only does this give you more scheduling freedom but it would also permit you to explore the surrounding areas since Richmond is on two major Interstate highways the I-95 and the I-64. Several major cities and tourist attractions are all in a 200 mile radius of Richmond including Washington, Virginia Beach, Baltimore etc.
- On Foot: If you would like to get up close and personal with the glorious architecture, cobblestone streets and dozens of monuments and don’t mind trudging, this is the best option for you. A walk by one of the trails that run parallel to the river is a must for anyone visiting Richmond for the first time.
Are you looking for a Richmond travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Richmond
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Richmond. The most preferred mode of transport in Richmond is Car.
Average distance: 17.64 km Average time: 20.33 min
Car 71.43%Driving 21.2 min Walking 0.3 min Overall average time for 24.82 kms 21.5 min
Bike 7.14%Bike 35 min Overall average time for 7.5 kms 35 min
Walking 21.43%Walking 12 min Driving 4 min Motorbike 0.33 min Bus 0.33 min Train 0.33 min Bike 0.33 min Tram 0.33 min Other 0.33 min Waiting 0.33 min Overall average time for 2.48 kms 18.33 min
How to Reach Richmond from Nearby Cities
|Glen allen to Richmond||8.65 km||8 mins|
|Stafford to Richmond||21.52 km||21 mins|
|Midlothian to Richmond||23.99 km||23 mins|
|Woodbridge to Richmond||34.03 km||34 mins|
|Lorton to Richmond||36.43 km||36 mins|
|Ashburn to Richmond||36.76 km||36 mins|
|Springfield to Richmond||40.97 km||40 mins|
|Mclean to Richmond||44.36 km||44 mins|
|Franklin to Richmond||60.64 km||1 hour 44 mins|
|Clinton to Richmond||66.97 km||1 hour 6 mins|